Peer-Reviewed Journal Article References:
Andersen, S. M. & Przybylinski, E. (Mar 2014). Cognitive distortion in interpersonal relations: Clinical implications of social cognitive research on person perception. Journal of Psychotherapy Integration, 24(1), 13-24.
Barnett, M. D., Maciel, I. V., & King, M. A. (2019). Sandbagging and the self: Does narcissism explain the relationship between sandbagging and self-esteem? Journal of Individual Differences, 40(1), 20-25.
Bass, C., van Nevel, J., & Swart, J. (2014). A comparison between dialectical behavior therapy, mode deactivation therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, and acceptance and commitment therapy in the treatment of adolescents. International Journal of Behavioral Consultation and Therapy, 9(2), 4–8.
Bee, C., & Madrigal, R. (2012). Outcomes are in the eye of the beholder: The influence of affective dispositions on disconfirmation emotions, outcome satisfaction, and enjoyment. Journal of Media Psychology: Theories, Methods, and Applications, 24(4), 143–153.
Bernichon, T., Cook, K. E., & Brown, J. D. (2003). Seeking self-evaluative feedback: The interactive role of global self-esteem and specific self-views. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 84(1), 194–204.
Boyd, J. E., Otilingam, P. G., & DeForge, B. R. (2014). Brief version of the Internalized Stigma of Mental Illness (ISMI) scale: Psychometric properties and relationship to depression, self esteem, recovery orientation, empowerment, and perceived devaluation and discrimination. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal, 37(1), 17–23.
Burke, E., Pyle, M., Machin, K., Varese, F., & Morrison, A. P. (2019). The effects of peer support on empowerment, self-efficacy, and internalized stigma: A narrative synthesis and meta-analysis. Stigma and Health, 4(3), 337–356.
Cattaneo, L. B., & Chapman, A. R. (2010). The process of empowerment: A model for use in research and practice. American Psychologist, 65(7), 646–659.
Chiappe, D., Morgan, C. A., Kraut, J., Ziccardi, J., Sturre, L., Strybel, T. Z., & Vu, K. L. Evaluating probe techniques and a situated theory of situation awareness. (Dec 2016). Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied, 22(4), 436-454.
Cummings, J. A., Adele M., Hayes, L. C., & Newman, C. F. (January 1, 2013). The Dynamics of Self-Esteem in Cognitive Therapy for Avoidant and Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorders: An Adaptive Role of Self-Esteem Variability. National Institute of Health, 1-16.
Danielsson, M. & Bengtsson, H. (2016). Global self-esteem and the processing of positive information about the self. Personality and Individual Differences, 99, 325–330.
Dunkley, D. M., Starrs, C. J., Gouveia, L., & Moroz, M. (Feb 10 , 2020). Self-critical perfectionism and lower daily perceived control predict depressive and anxious symptoms over four years. Journal of Counseling Psychology, No Pagination Specified.
Gaudiano, B. A. (2010). Evaluating acceptance and commitment therapy: An analysis of a recent critique. International Journal of Behavioral Consultation and Therapy, 5(3-4), 311–329.
Halamová, J., Kanovský, M., & Pacúchová, M. (2018) Item-response theory psychometric analysis and factor structure of the Self-Compassion and Self-Criticism Scales. Swiss Journal of Psychology, Vol 77(4), 137-147.
Hallis, L., Cameli, L., Dionne, F., & Knäuper, B. (Jun 2016). Combining Cognitive Therapy with Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for depression: A manualized group therapy. Journal of Psychotherapy Integration, 26(2), 186-201.
Hank, P. (2015). Beyond an informal everyday concept of self-esteem: A latent state-trait model. Journal of Individual Differences, 36(4), 237–246.
Horberg, E. J., & Chen, S. (2010). Significant others and contingencies of self-worth: Activation and consequences of relationship-specific contingencies of self-worth. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 98(1), 77–91.
IJntema, R. C., Burger, Y. D., & Schaufeli, W. B. (2019) .Reviewing the labyrinth of psychological resilience: Establishing criteria for resilience-building programs. Consulting Psychology Journal: Practice and Research, Vol 71(4), 288-30.
Joeng, J. R. & Turner, S. L. (Jul 2015). Mediators between self-criticism and depression: Fear of compassion, self-compassion, and importance to others. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 62(3), 453-463.
Jordan, C. H., Logel, C., Spencer, S. J., Zanna, M. P., Wood, J. V., & Holmes, J. G. (Sep 2013). Responsive Low Self-Esteem: Low Explicit Self-Esteem, Implicit Self-Esteem, and Reactions to Performance Outcomes. Journal of Social & Clinical Psychology, 32(7), 703-732.
Kannan, D., & Levitt, H. M. (2013). A review of client self-criticism in psychotherapy. Journal of Psychotherapy Integration, 23(2), 166–178.
Kopala-Sibley, D. C., Klein, D. N., Perlman, G., & Kotov, R. (2017). Self-criticism and dependency in female adolescents: Prediction of first onsets and disentangling the relationships between personality, stressful life events, and internalizing psychopathology. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 126(8), 1029–1043.
Larrick, R. P., & Wu, G. (2007). Claiming a large slice of a small pie: Asymmetric disconfirmation in negotiation. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 93(2), 212–233.
Maas, J., Keijsers, G. P. J., Cangliosi, C. M., van der Veld, W., Tanis-Jacobs, J., & van Minnen, A. (2017). The Self-Control Cognition Questionnaire: Cognitions in the maintenance of unwanted habits. European Journal of Psychological Assessment, 33(5), 328–335.
McGrath, D. S., Sherry, S. B., Stewart, S. H., Mushquash, A. R., Allen, S. L., Nealis, Logan J., & Sherry, D. L. (Jul 2012). Reciprocal relations between self-critical perfectionism and depressive symptoms: Evidence from a short-term, four-wave longitudinal study. Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science, 44(3), 169-181.
Miller, K. & Kelly, A. (Apr 2020). Is self-compassion contagious? An examination of whether hearing a display of self-compassion impacts self-compassion in the listener. Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science, 52(2), 159-170.
Niileksela, C. R., Ghosh, A., & Janis, R. A. (2020). Dynamic changes in generalized anxiety and depression during counseling. Journal of Counseling Psychology. Advance online publication.
Orth, U., Robins, R. W., Meier, L. L., & Conger, R. D. (Jan 2016). Refining the vulnerability model of low self-esteem and depression: Disentangling the effects of genuine self-esteem and narcissism. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 110(1), 133-149.
Park, L. E., & Maner, J. K. (2009). Does self-threat promote social connection? The role of self-esteem and contingencies of self-worth. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 96(1), 203–217.
Ray, J. V., Hall, J., Rivera-Hudson, N., Poythress, N. G., Lilienfeld, S. O., & Morano, M. (Jan 2013). The relation between self-reported psychopathic traits and distorted response styles: A meta-analytic review. Personality Disorders: Theory, Research, and Treatment, 4(1), 1-14.
Reynolds, K. J., Oakes, P. J., Haslam, S. A., Nolan, M. A., & Dolnik, L. (2000). Responses to powerlessness: Stereotyping as an instrument of social conflict. Group Dynamics: Theory, Research, and Practice, 4(4), 275–290.
Rudolph, A., Schröder-Abé, M., & Schütz, A. (2020). I like myself, I really do (at least right now): Development and validation of a brief and revised (German-language) version of the State Self-Esteem Scale. European Journal of Psychological Assessment, 36(1), 196-206.
“Self-critical perfectionism and depressive and anxious symptoms over 4 years: The mediating role of daily stress reactivity”: Correction to Mandel et al. (2015) (2017). Journal of Counseling Psychology, 64(2), 232.
Sewell, D. K., & Lewandowsky, S. (Aug 2012). Attention and working memory capacity: Insights from blocking, highlighting, and knowledge restructuring. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 141(3), 444-469.
Sharma, S., & Agarwala, S. (2013). Contribution of Self-Esteem and Collective Self-Esteem in Predicting Depression. Psychological Thought, 6(1), 117-123.
Shikatani, B., Fredborg, B. K., Cassin, S. E., Kuo, Janice R., & Antony, M. M. (Apr 2019). Acceptability and perceived helpfulness of single session mindfulness and cognitive restructuring strategies in individuals with social anxiety disorder: A pilot study. Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science, 51(2), 83-89.
Shurick, A. A., Hamilton, J. R., Harris, L. T., Roy, A. K., Gross, J. J., & Phelps, E. A. (Dec 2012). Durable effects of cognitive restructuring on conditioned fear. Emotion, 12(6), 1393-1397.
Sowislo, J. F., & Orth, U. (2013). Does low self-esteem predict depression and anxiety? A meta-analysis of longitudinal studies. Psychological Bulletin, 139(1), 213–240.
Stapleton, P., Crighton, G. J., Carter, B., & Pidgeon, A. (Sep 2017). Self-esteem and body image in females: The mediating role of self-compassion and appearance contingent self-worth. The Humanistic Psychologist, 45(3), 238-257.
Tesser, A. (1980). Self-esteem maintenance in family dynamics. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 39(1), 77–91.
Williams Kapten, S. (2020). Power, powerlessness, and the parallel process. Journal of Psychotherapy Integration, 30(1), 147–154.
Wolitzky-Taylor, K. B., Arch, J. J., Rosenfield, D., & Craske, M. G. (2012). Moderators and non-specific predictors of treatment outcome for anxiety disorders: A comparison of cognitive behavioral therapy to acceptance and commitment therapy. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 80(5), 786–799.
- Alavi H. R. (2011). The Role of Self-esteem in Tendency towards Drugs, Theft and Prostitution. Addiction & Health, 3(3-4), 119–124.
- Barnett, M. D., Maciel, I. V., & King, M. A. (2019). Sandbagging and the Self: Does Narcissism Explain the Relationship Between Sandbagging and Self-esteem? Journal of Individual Differences, 40(1), 20-25.
- Bergner, R. M. (1995). Pathological Self-Criticism: Assessment and Treatment. New York, NY: Plenum Press.
- Bouvier, P. (2003). Child Sexual Abuse: Vicious Circles of Fate or Paths to Resilience. Lancet, 361(9356).
- Brummelman, E., Crocker, J., & Bushman, B. J. (June 2016) The Praise Paradox: When and Why Praise Backfires in Children With Low Self-Esteem. Child Development Perspectives, 10(2), 111-115.
- Carlson, R., Ph.D. (1993). You Can Feel Good Again. New York, NY: Penguin Books.
- Cai, H., Wu, M., Luo, Yu L. L., Yang, J. (Feb 2014). Implicit Self-Esteem Decreases in Adolescence: A Cross-Sectional Study. PLoS ONE, 9(2), 1-5.
- Cahill, H. A.P., Beadle, S., Farrelly, A., Forster, R., & Smith, K., Dr. (n.d).Building Resilience in Children and Young People. A Literature Review for the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development. (DEECD). Youth Research Centre, Melbourne Graduate School of Education. University of Melbourne.
- Cummings, J. A., Hayes, A. M., Cardaciotto, L., & Newman, C. F. (Jan 2013). The Dynamics of Self-Esteem in Cognitive Therapy for Avoidant and Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorders: An Adaptive Role of Self-Esteem Variability? National Institute of Health, 1-16. .
- Frey, D., & Carlock, C. J. (1991) Practical Techniques For Enhancing Self-Esteem. Accelerated Development Inc., 154.
- Gruenenfelder-Steiger, A. E., Harris, M. A., & Fend, H. A. (Oct 2016). Subjective and Objective Peer Approval Evaluations and Self-esteem Development: A Test of Reciprocal, Prospective, and Long-term Effects. Developmental Psychology, 52(10), 1563-1577.
- Hall, A., & Torres, I. (2002). Partnerships in Preventing Adolescent Stress: Increasing Self-Esteem, Coping, and Support Through Effective Counseling. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 24(2).
- Harris, M. A., & Orth, U. (Sep 2019). The Link Between Self-esteem and Social Relationships: A Meta-analysis of Longitudinal Studies. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.
- Helmstetter, S. D., Ph.D. (1982). What To Say When You Talk to Yourself. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster.
- Information from your Primary Care Team Self-Esteem. (2013). Center for Integrated Healthcare, VA Healthcare.
- Iram R, S. F., & Najam, N. (2014). Parental Psychological Abuse toward Children and Mental Health Problems in Adolescence. Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences, 30(2), 256–260.
- Jordan, C. H., Logel, C., Spencer, S. J., Zanna, M. P., Wood, J. V., & Holmes, J. G. (Sep 2013). Responsive Low Self-Esteem: Low Explicit Self-Esteem, Implicit Self-Esteem, and Reactions to Performance Outcomes. Journal of Social & Clinical Psychology, 32(7), 703-732.
- Kashdan, T. B., DeWall, C. N., Masten, C. L., Pond Jr, R. S, Powell, C., Combs, D., Schurtz, D. R., & Farmer, A. S. (Mar 2014). Who Is Most Vulnerable to Social Rejection? The Toxic Combination of Low Self-Esteem and Lack of Negative Emotion Differentiation on Neural Responses to Rejection. PLoS ONE. 9(3), 1-8.
- Krauss, S., Orth, U., & Robins, R. W. (Sep 2019). Family Environment and Self-esteem Development: A Longitudinal Study From Age 10 to 16. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.
- Lee, C., Dickson, D. A., Conley, C. S., & Holmbeck, G. N. (Jun 2014). A Closer Look at Self-Esteem, Perceived Social Support, and Coping Strategy: A Prospective Study of Depressive Symptomatology Across the Transition to College. Journal of Social & Clinical Psychology, 33(6), 560-585.
- Lee, J., Joo, E., & Choi, K., (2013) Perceived Stress and Self-esteem Mediate the Effects of Work-related Stress on Depression. Stress & Health: Journal of the International Society for the Investigation of Stress, 29(1), 75-81.
- Luciano, E. C., & Orth, U. (Feb 2017). Transitions in Romantic Relationships and Development of Self-esteem. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 112(2), 307-328.
- McKay, M., Ph.D., & Fanning, P. (1987). Self-Esteem. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications.
- McKay, M., Ph.D., & Fanning, P. (2000). Self-Esteem, Third Edition. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications.
- Mills, L., & Daniluk, J. (2002). Her Body Speaks: the Experience of Dance Therapy for Women Survivors of Sexual Abuse. Journal of Counseling & Development, 80(1).
- Moran, P., Bifulco, A., Ball, C., Jacobs, C., & Benaim, K. (2002). Exploring Psychological Abuse in Childhood: Developing a New Interview Scale. Bulletin of the Menninger Clinic, 66(3).
- Newman, T. (2002). Promoting Resilience: A Review of Effective Strategies for Child Care Services. Centre for Evidence-Based Social Services, University of Exeter.
- Orth, U., Robins, R. W., Meier, L. L., & Conger, R. D. (Jan 2016). Refining the vulnerability model of low self-esteem and depression: Disentangling the effects of genuine self-esteem and narcissism. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 110(1), 133-149.
- Peurifoy, R. Z. (1995). Anxiety, Phobias, and Panic. New York, NY: Warner Books.
- Powell, K. (2004). Developmental Psychology of Adolescent Girls: Conflicts and Identity Issues. Education, 125(1).
- Resiliency Building Activities for Children. (n.d.). Division of Injury Prevention and Control. North Dakota Department of Health
- Robinson, T. L., (Jul 2000). Journal of Multicultural Counseling & Development, 28(3).
- Rudolph, A., Schröder-Abé, M., & Schütz, A. (Dec 2018). I Like Myself, I Really Do (At Least Right Now): Development and Validation of a Brief and Revised Version of the State Self-Esteem Scale. European Journal of Psychological Assessment.
- Rubin, T. I., M.D., (1975). Compassion and Self-Hate: An Alternative to Despair. New York, NY: Ballantine Books.
- Sharma, S., & Agarwala, S. (2013) Contribution of Self-Esteem and Collective Self-Esteem in Predicting Depression. Psychological Thought, 6 (1), 117-123.
- Thompson, M., Kngree, J., & Desai, S. (2004). Gender Differences in Long-Term Health Consequences of Physical Abuse of Children: Data from a Nationally Representative Survey. American Journal of Public Health, 94(4).
- Von Soest, T., Wagner, J., Hansen, T., & Gerstorf, D. (Jun 2018). Self-esteem across the second half of life: The role of socioeconomic status, physical health, social relationships, and personality factors. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 114(6), 945-958.
- Von Soest, T., Wichstrøm, L., & Kvalem, I. L. (Apr 2016). The development of global and domain-specific self-esteem from age 13 to 31. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 110(4), 592-608.
- Waite, P., McManus, F., & Shafran, R. (Dec 2012). Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for Low Self-esteem: A Preliminary Randomized Controlled Trial in a Primary Care Setting. Journal of Behavior Therapy & Experimental Psychiatry, 53(4), 1049-1057.
- Walbrugh, V. (Jul 2016) How to Deal with Low Self-Esteem: A CBT-Based Plan for Overcoming Thoughts and Eliminating Self-Doubt. Educational Psychology in Practice, 32(3), 324-324.