- Kim, Kerri L.; Dickstein, Daniel P. Relationship between teen suicide and non-suicidal self-injury. Brown University Child & Adolescent Behavior Letter. May2013, Vol. 29 Issue 5, p1-6.
- Lesniak, R. Self-injury behavior: How can Nurses Help. JCN Oct 2008; 25, 4 (186-193)
- Machoian, L. Cutting Voices: Self-Injury in Three Adolescent Girls. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing & Mental Health Services; Nov 2001; 39,11; 22-29
- Muehlenkamp, J.J; Kerr, P. L; Untangling a Complex Web: How Non-Suicidal Self-Injury and Suicide Attempts Differ. The Prevention Researcher; Feb. 2010; 17(1); (8-10)
- Phillips, Rhiannon; Spears, Melissa R.; Montgomery, Alan A.; Millings, Abigail; Sayal, Kapil; Stallard, Paul. Could a brief assessment of negative emotions and self-esteem identify adolescents at current and future risk of self-harm in the community? A prospective cohort analysis. BMC Public Health. 2013, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p1-11.
-Polk, E; Liss, M; Exploring the Motivations behind Self-Injury; Counselling Psychology Quarterly; June 2009; 22(2); 233-241
- Sebree, R; Popkess-Vawter, S. Self-Injury Concept Formation: Nursing Diagnosis Development. Journal Perspectives in Psychiatric Care; 1991; 27,2; (27-35)
- Stallard, Paul; Spears, Melissa; Montgomery, Alan A.; Phillips, Rhiannon; Sayal, Kapil. Self-harm in young adolescents (12-16 years): onset and short-term continuation in a community sample. BMC Psychiatry. 2013, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p1-25.
- Swannell, S; Matin, G; Scott, J; Gibbons, M; Gifford, S; Motivations for Self-Injury in an Adolescent Inpatient Population: Development of a Self-Report Measure. Australian Psychiatry; April 2008, 16(2); (98-103) doi: 10.1080/10398560701636955
- Van Vliet, K Jessica;Kalnins, Genevieve R C. A Compassion-Focused Approach to Nonsuicidal Self-Injury. Journal of Mental Health Counseling; Oct 2011; 33, 4; ProQuest pg. 295
- Victor, Sarah Elizabeth; Klonsky, E. David. Daily Emotion in Non-Suicidal Self-Injury. Journal of Clinical Psychology. Apr2014, Vol. 70 Issue 4, p364-375.
- Young, Robert; Sproeber, Nina; Groschwitz, Rebecca C.; Preiss, Marthe; Plener, Paul L. Why alternative teenagers self-harm: exploring the link between non-suicidal self-injury, attempted suicide and adolescent identity. BMC Psychiatry. 2014, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p1-25.