- Ananth, J., Kaplan, H., & Lin, K. (1984). Self-inflicted enucleation of an eye: Two case reports. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 29(2), 145-1 46.
- Avant, K., & Walker, L. (1983). Strategies for theory construction in nursing (2d ed.). Norwalk, CT: Appleton & Lange.
- Bachman, J. (1972). Self-injurious behavior: A behavioral analysis. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 80(3), 211-224.
- Barron, J., & Sandman, C. (1984) Self-injurious behavior and stereotyping in an institutionalized mentally retarded population. Applied Research in Mental Retardation, 5,499-511.
Carroll, J., Schaffer, C., Spenskley, J., & Abramowitz, S. (1980). Family experiences of self-mutilating patients. American Journal of Psychiatry, 737, 852-853.
- Conn, L., & Lion, J. (1983). Self-mutilation: A review. Psychiatric Medicine, 1(1), 21-33,
- Cooper, H. (1971). Self-mutilation by Peruvian prisoners. International Journal of Offender Therapy, 15(3), 180-188.
- Eisenhauer, C. (1985). Self-inflicted ocular removal by two psychiatric inpatients. Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 36(2),
- Favazza, A. (1987). Bodies under siege. Baltimore: John ‘Hopkins University Press.
- Favazza, A. (1989). Why patients mutilate themselves. Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 40(2), 137-145.
- Feldman, M. (1988). The challenge of self-mutilation: A review. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 29(3), 252-269.
- Gardner, D., & Cowdry, It. (1985). Suicidal and parasuicidal behavior in borderline personality disorder. Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 8(2), 389-403.
- Goldfield, M., & Click, I. (1973). Self-mutilation of the genitalia. Medical Aspects of Human Sexuality, 7(4), 219-236.
- Goldney, R., & Simpson, 1. (1975). Female genital self-mutilation, dysorexia and the hysterical personality: The caenis syndrome. Canadian Psychiatric Association Journal, 20,435-441.
- Green, A. (1978). Self-destructive behavior in battered children. American Journal of Psychiatry, 135, 579-582.
- Greilsheiner, H., & Groves, J. (1979). Male genital self-mutilation, Archives of General Psychiatry, 36,441-446.
- Haberman, M., & Michael, R. (1979). Autocastration in transsexualism. American Journal of Psychiatry, 136, 347-348.
- Harry, B. (1987). Tattoos, body experience, and image boundary among violent male offenders. Bulletin of the American Academy of Psychiatry Law, 15(2), 171-178.
- Kirmayer, L, & Carroll, J. (1987). A neurobiological hypothesis on the nature of chronic seif-motilation. Integrated Psychiatry, 5,212-213
- Menninger, K. (1935). A psychoanalytic study of the significance of self-mutilations. Psychoanalytic Quarterly, 4,408-466.
- Menninger, K. (1938). Man against himself. New York: Harcourt, Brace and Co.
- North American Nursing Diagnosis Association (NANDA). (1988). Nursing Diagnosis Newsletter. St. Louis, MO: Author.
- North American Nursing Diagnosis Association (NANDA) (1990). Development submission criteria and guidelines for proposed nursing diagnosis: Draft. Handout at NANDA’s 9th Conference, March 17-21, 1990, Orlando, FL.
- Oliver, C., Murphy, C., & Corbett, J. (1987). Self-injurious behavior in people with mental handicap: A total population study. Journal of Mental Deficiency Research, 32, Part 2, 147-162.
- Pattison, E., & Kahan, J. (1983). The deliberate self-harm syndrome. American Journal of Psychiatry, 140,867-872,
- Phillips, R., & Alkan, M. (1961). Some aspects of self-mutilation in the general population of a large psychiatric hospital. Psychiatric Quarterly, 35,424-431.
- Putnam, N., & Stein, M. (1985). Self-inflicted injuries in childhood. Clinical Pediatrics, 24,514-518.
- Schroeder, S., Schroeder, C., Smith, B., & Dalldorf, J. (1978). Prevalence of self-injurious behavior in a large state facility for the retarded: A three-year follow-up study. Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia, 8(3), 261-269.
- Simpson, M. (1975). The phenomenology of self-mutilation in a general hospital setting. Canadian Psychiatric Association Journal, 20(6), 429-434.
- Siomopoulos, V. (1974). Repeated self-cutting: An impulse neurosis. American Journal of Psychotherapy, 28(1), 85-94.
- Soulios, C., & Firth, S. 0986). Self-inflicted eye injury: Clinical and psychodynamic aspects. Psychiatric Journal University of Ottawa, 11(4), 238-242.
- Toch, H. (1975). Men in crisis. Chicago: Aldine Publishing
- Walsh, B., & Rosen, P. (1988). Self-mutilation: Theory, research, and treatment New York: Guilford Press.