About the authors
-Jennifer Muehlenkamp, Ph.D. ([email protected]), is a licensed Clinical psychologist, and Assistant Professor In the Department of Psychology at the University of Wisconsin Eau Claire, Her research broadly encompasses understanding risk and protective actors in self-destructive behaviors, and her clinical work focuses upon the treatment of mood disorders, personality disorders: and self-harm behaviors.
-Patrick L. Kerr, PhD., is an Assistant Professor, Clinical psychologist, and researcher in the Department of 8ehavioral Medicine and Psychiatry at West Virginia University School of Medicine in Charleston, WV. His research and Clinical work focus on assessment and treatment of severe psychopathology, the treatment and prevention of suicide and non-suicidal self-injury, and emotion regulation.
Excerpt of Bibliography referenced in this article
- Berman, A.L, Jobes, D.A., & Silverman, MM. (2006). Adolescent Suicide: Assessment and Intervention (2nd ed,), Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2009). Web-based Injury Statistics Queryand Reporting System (WISQARS). Available from www.cdc.govincipc/wisqars/default.htm.
- Favazza,A.R, (1996). Bodies Under Siege: Self-mutilation arid Body Modification in Culture and Psychiatry (2nd Ed.). Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Heath, N.L, Schaub, K., Holly, S., & Nixon, MK. (2009). Sell-injury today: Review of population and clinical studies in adolescents. In MX, Nixon & N.L. Heath (Eds.), Self-Injury in Youth: The essential guide to assessment and intervention (pp. 9-27). New York: Routledge.
- Joiner, T. E.. (2006). Why People Die by Suicide, Cambridge. MA: Harvard University Press.
- Klonsky, E. D., & Muehlenkamp, J. J. (2007). Non-suIcidal self-Injury: A research review for the
practitioner. Journal of Clinical Psychology/lnSession, 63. 1.045—1,056.
- Muehlenkamp, J.J. (2006). Empirically supported treatments and general therapy guidelines for
non-suicidal self-injury. Journal of Mental Health Counseling.28, 166-185.
- Muehlenkamp, J. J., &Gutierrez, P.M. (2007). Risk for suicide attempts among adolescents who engage in non-suicidal self-Injury. Archives of Suicide Research, 11,69—82.
- Muehlenkamp, JJ., Walsh, B.W., & McDade. M. (in press). Preventing non-suicidal self-injury in adolescents: The Signs of Self-Injury Program. Journal of Youth and Adolescence.
- Nock, M. K., Joiner, T. E ,Gordon, K.H., Lloyd-Richardson, E., & Prinstein, M. J. (2006). Non- suicidal self-Injury among adolescents; Diagnostic correlates and relation to suicide,
attempts Psychiatry Research, 144,65—72.
- Nock, M.K., & Kessler, AC. (2006). Prevalence of and risk factors for suicide attempts vs. suicide gestures; Analysis of the national comorbidity survey. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 115,616-623.
- Shneidman, ES. (1985). Definition of Suicide. New York; Wiley.
- Skegg, K. (2005). Self-harm. Lancet,366, 1,471-1.483.
- Walsh, tW. (2006). Treating Self-Injury: A Practical Guide. New York, NY; Guilford Press.