If you would like additional information on this topic,
below are OPTIONAL books to consider buying for your personal library...
Peer-Reviewed Journal Article References:
Bailen, N. H., Wu, H., & Thompson, R. J. (2019). Meta-emotions in daily life: Associations with emotional awareness and depression. Emotion, 19(5), 776–787.
Bardeen, J. R., & Fergus, T. A. (2020). Emotion regulation self-efficacy mediates the relation between happiness emotion goals and depressive symptoms: A cross-lagged panel design. Emotion, 20(5), 910–915.
Boden, M. T., & Thompson, R. J. (2015). Facets of emotional awareness and associations with emotion regulation and depression. Emotion, 15(3), 399–410.
Borg, I., Hertel, G., & Hermann, D. (2017). Age and personal values: Similar value circles with shifting priorities. Psychology and Aging, 32(7), 636–641.
Brady, E. U., & Kendall, P. C. (1992). Comorbidity of anxiety and depression in children and adolescents. Psychological Bulletin, 111(2), 244–255.
Cetinkol, G., Bastug, G., & Ozel Kizil, E. T. (2020). Poor acceptance of the past is related to depressive symptoms in older adults. GeroPsych: The Journal of Gerontopsychology and Geriatric Psychiatry. Advance online publication.
Chan-Brown, K., Douglass, A., Halling, S., Keller, J., & McNabb, M. (2016). What is money? A qualitative study of money as experienced. The Humanistic Psychologist, 44(2), 190–209.
Conway, C. C., Zinbarg, R. E., Mineka, S., & Craske, M. G. (2017). Core dimensions of anxiety and depression change independently during adolescence. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 126(2), 160–172.
Fayn, K., Silvia, P. J., Dejonckheere, E., Verdonck, S., & Kuppens, P. (2019). Confused or curious? Openness/intellect predicts more positive interest-confusion relations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 117(5), 1016–1033.
Felsman, P., Verduyn, P., Ayduk, O., & Kross, E. (2017). Being present: Focusing on the present predicts improvements in life satisfaction but not happiness. Emotion, 17(7), 1047–1051.
Fried, E. I., van Borkulo, C. D., Epskamp, S., Schoevers, R. A., Tuerlinckx, F., & Borsboom, D. (2016). Measuring depression over time . . . Or not? Lack of unidimensionality and longitudinal measurement invariance in four common rating scales of depression. Psychological Assessment, 28(11), 1354–1367.
Kang, Y., & Gruber, J. (2013). Harnessing happiness? Uncontrollable positive emotion in bipolar disorder, major depression, and healthy adults. Emotion, 13(2), 290–301.
Kuhbandner, C., & Haager, J. S. (2016). Overcoming approach and withdrawal habits: Approaching former enemies is easier than withdrawing from former friends. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 145(11), 1438–1447.
Lay, A., & Furnham, A. (2019). A new money attitudes questionnaire. European Journal of Psychological Assessment, 35(6), 813–822.
Lazar, C. M., Black, A. C., McMahon, T. J., Rosenheck, R. A., Ries, R., Ames, D., & Rosen, M. I. (2016). All-data approach to assessing financial capability in people with psychiatric disabilities. Psychological Assessment, 28(4), 362–371.
Maas, J., Keijsers, G. P. J., Cangliosi, C. M., van der Veld, W., Tanis-Jacobs, J., & van Minnen, A. (2017). The Self-Control Cognition Questionnaire: Cognitions in the maintenance of unwanted habits. European Journal of Psychological Assessment, 33(5), 328–335.
Milyavskaya, M., Inzlicht, M., Hope, N., & Koestner, R. (2015). Saying “no” to temptation: Want-to motivation improves self-regulation by reducing temptation rather than by increasing self-control. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 109(4), 677–693.
Monti, J. D., & Rudolph, K. D. (2014). Emotional awareness as a pathway linking adult attachment to subsequent depression. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 61(3), 374–382.
Phillips, J., De Freitas, J., Mott, C., Gruber, J., & Knobe, J. (2017). True happiness: The role of morality in the folk concept of happiness. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 146(2), 165–181.
Quinn, M. E., & Joormann, J. (2015). Control when it counts: Change in executive control under stress predicts depression symptoms. Emotion, 15(4), 522–530.
Raeder, S.-M., Bone, J. K., Patai, E. Z., Holmes, E. A., Nobre, A. C., & Murphy, S. E. (2019). Emotional distraction in the context of memory-based orienting of attention. Emotion, 19(8), 1366–1376.
Raila, H., Scholl, B. J., & Gruber, J. (2015). Seeing the world through rose-colored glasses: People who are happy and satisfied with life preferentially attend to positive stimuli. Emotion, 15(4), 449–462.
Rappaport, L. M., Moskowitz, D. S., & D'Antono, B. (2017). Depression symptoms moderate the association between emotion and communal behavior. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 64(3), 269–279.
"Reward processing and future life stress: Stress generation pathway to depression": Correction to Mackin et al. (2019) (2019). Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 128(6), 492.
Robyak, J. E. (1991). Review of Saying no is not enough [Review of the book Saying no is not enough, by R. Schwebel]. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 5(1), 56–57.
Silvia, P. J. (2010). Confusion and interest: The role of knowledge emotions in aesthetic experience. Psychology of Aesthetics, Creativity, and the Arts, 4(2), 75–80.
Smallen, D. (2019). Practicing forgiveness: A framework for a routine forgiveness practice. Spirituality in Clinical Practice, 6(4), 219–228.
Tocci, M. C., Converse, P. D., & Moon, N. A. (2020). Core self-evaluations over time: Predicting within-person variability. Journal of Individual Differences, 41(1), 1–7.
Troy, A. S., Saquib, S., Thal, J., & Ciuk, D. J. (2019). The regulation of negative and positive affect in response to daily stressors. Emotion, 19(5), 751–763.
Vanderhasselt, M.-A., De Raedt, R., De Paepe, A., Aarts, K., Otte, G., Van Dorpe, J., & Pourtois, G. (2014). Abnormal proactive and reactive cognitive control during conflict processing in major depression. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 123(1), 68–80.
von Hecker, U., & Meiser, T. (2005). Defocused Attention in Depressed Mood: Evidence From Source Monitoring. Emotion, 5(4), 456–463.
Watkins, E. R., & Nolen-Hoeksema, S. (2014). A habit-goal framework of depressive rumination. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 123(1), 24–34.
Watson, K. (2015). No, thank YOU. Families, Systems, & Health, 33(4), 421.
Wrosch, C., Heckhausen, J., & Lachman, M. E. (2000). Primary and secondary control strategies for managing health and financial stress across adulthood. Psychology and Aging, 15(3), 387–399.
Yang, F., Knobe, J., & Dunham, Y. (2020). Happiness is from the soul: The nature and origins of our happiness concept. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General. Advance online publication.
- Blatt, Sidney PhD, Experiences of Depression: Theoretical, Clinical, and Research Perspectives, American Psychological Association: Washington DC, 2004.
- Boyum, Richard MA, Holiday Depression, SelfCounseling: Washington DC, 2004.
- Burke, Sara E.; Wang, Katie; Dovidio, John F. Witnessing Disclosure of Depression: Gender and Attachment Avoidance Moderate Interpersonal Evaluations. Journal of Social & Clinical Psychology. Jun2014, Vol. 33 Issue 6, p536-559.
- Gladstone, Tracy R. G.; Beardslee, William R.; The Prevention of Depression in Children and Adolescents: A Review; Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, April 2009, Vol 54 Issue 4, p212
- Giosan, Cezar; Cobeanu, Oana; Mogoase, Cristina; Muresan, Vlad; Malta, Loretta S.; Wyka, Katarzyna; Szentagotai, Aurora. Evolutionary cognitive therapy versus standard cognitive therapy for depression: a protocol for a blinded, randomized, superiority clinical trial. Trials. 2014, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p1-25.
- Kramer, Peter D. PhD, Against Depression, Penguin Group: New York, 2005.
- Maeda, Uta; Shen, Biing-Jiun; Schwarz, Ernst; Farrell, Kristen; Mallon, Stephen. Self-Efficacy Mediates the Associations of Social Support and Depression with Treatment Adherence in Heart Failure Patients. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. Mar2013, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p88-96.
- Matos, Marcela; Pinto-Gouveia, José. Shamed by a Parent or by Others: The Role of Attachment in Shame Memories Relation to Depression. International Journal of Psychology & Psychological Therapy. 2014, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p217-244.
- Newman, Stephen C.; Bland, Roger C.; A population-based family study of minor depression; Depression & Anxiety; 2009, Vol 26 Issue 4, p389
- Philip J. Cowen and Michael Browning. What has serotonin to do with depression?. National Center for Biotechnology Information. World Psychiatry 14:2 -
June 2015, p158-160.
-Pyne, Jeffrey M.; Fortney, John C.; Tripathi, Shanti; Feeny, David; Ubel, Peter; Brazier, John; How Bad Is Depression? Preference Score Estimates from Depressed Patients and the General Population; Health Services Research, August 2009, Vol 44 Issue 4, p1406
- Rachman, S. PhD & Jack Maser MA, Panic: Psychological Perspectives, LEA Publishers: Hillsdale, 1998
- Rao, U. and Chen, L. (2009). Characteristics, Correlates, and Outcomes of Childhood and
Adolescent Depressive Disorders.
-Romer, Dan PhD & Herbert Hendin, Myth of Winter Holiday Suicide, Annenberg Public Policy Center: Washington DC, 2001.
- Shapero, Benjamin G.; Black, Shimrit K.; Liu, Richard T.; Klugman, Joshua; Bender, Rachel E.; Abramson, Lyn Y.; Alloy, Lauren B. Stressful Life Events and Depression Symptoms: The Effect of Childhood Emotional Abuse on Stress Reactivity. Journal of Clinical Psychology. Mar2014, Vol. 70 Issue 3, p209-223.
- Stein, Dan J. PhD, Clinical Manual of Anxiety Disorders, American Psychiatric Publishing: London, 2004.
-Taylor, Steven PhD, Anxiety Sensitivity: Theory, Research, and Treatment of the Fear of Anxiety, LEA Publishers: Mahwah, 1999.
- Thapar, A., Collishoaw, St., Pine, D. S., and Thapar, A. K. (2012). Depression in Adolescence. Lancet, 79(9820). p. 1056-1067. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(11)60871-4
- The John D. & Catherine T. MacArthur Foundatin's Intiative on Depression & Primary Care and 3CM, LLC. (2004). Depression Management Tool Kit.
- Thompson, M. (2008). Gender, Mental Illness, and Crime. U.S Department of Justice.
-Wegener, Ingo; Alfter, Susanne; Geiser, Franziska; Liedtke, Reinhard; Conrad, Rupert, "Schema Change Without Schema Therapy: The Role of Early Maladaptive Schemata for a Successful Treatment of Major Depression", Psychiatry: Interpersonal & Biological Processes. Spring 2013, Vol. 76 Issue 1, p1-17.
- Wilson, Reid PhD, Don't Panic: Taking Control of Anxiety Attacks, Harper & Row Publishers: New York, 1999.