- National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence, Inc. 1-800-622-2255
- Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
Treatment Referral Helpline
24 Hours English and Spanish
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK
- American Council on Alcoholism
- Recovery Connection 24 Hour Hotline 800-993-3869
-Angres, Daniel; Bologeorges, Stephanie; Chou, Jessica. A Two Year Longitudinal Outcome Study of Addicted Health Care Professionals: An Investigation of the Role of Personality Variables. Substance Abuse: Research & Treatment. 2013, Issue 7, p49-60. 12p. 4 Charts. DOI: 10.4137/SART.S10556.
A Survival Guide to Parenting Teens: Talking to Your Kids About Sexting, Drinking, Drugs, and Other Things That Freak You Out. Publishers Weekly. 4/21/2014, Vol. 261 Issue 16, p73-73.
-Becker, Sara J. Adolescent substance abuse: National trends, consequences, and promising treatments. Brown University Child & Adolescent Behavior Letter. May2013, Vol. 29 Issue 5, p1-7. 3p.
- Branstetter, Steven A.; Horn, Kimberly; Dino, Geri; Zhang, Jianjun; Beyond quitting: Predictors of teen smoking cessation, reduction and acceleration following a school-based intervention; Drug & Alcohol Dependence, January 2009, Vol 99, Issues 1-3
- Coker, Kelly, Four-Fold Prevention: Strategies to Prevent Substance Abuse Among Elementary School-Aged Children; Professional School Counseling; Oct 2001; Vol. 5; Issue 1.
- Curry, Susan J.; Mermeistein, Robin J.; Sporer, Amy K; Therapy for Specific Problems: Youth Tobacco Cessation; Annual Review of Psychology, 2009, Vol 60, Issue 1
- Finn, Kristin, Willert, Jeanette & Michele Marable; Substance Abuse in Schools; Educational Leadership; Mar 2003, Vol. 60,Issue 6.
-Gifford, Elizabeth V.; Tavakoli, Sara; Wang, Ruey; Hagedorn, Hildi J.; Hamlett-Berry, Kim W. Tobacco dependence diagnosis and treatment in Veterans Health Administration residential substance use disorder treatment programs. Addiction. Jun2013, Vol. 108 Issue 6, p1127-1135.
- Herrmann, Scott & Jeffries McWhirter, Refusal and Resistance Skills for Children and Adolescents: A Selected Review, Journal of Counseling & Development, Jan/Feb 1997, Vol. 75, Issue 3.
- Hoder, Randye. Give Parents a Break: Making the Case for Supervised Teen Drinking Time.com. 10/25/2013, p1-1.
- How to Spot Drug and Alcohol Use in Teens: Guide for Parents. Brown University Child & Adolescent Behavior Letter. May2013 Supplement, Vol. 29, p1-2.
- Jordan, Karen M., Substance Abuse Among Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning Adolescents, School Psychology Review, 2000, Vol. 29, Issue 2.
- Kruczek, Theresa, Alexander, Charlene, & Kevin Harris, An After-School Program for High-Risk Middle School Students, Professional School Counseling, Dec 2005, Vol. 9, Issue 2.
- Lambie, Glenn & Laurie Rokutani, Systems Approach to Substance Abuse Identification and Intervention for School Counselors, Professional School Counseling, Jun 2002, Vol. 5, Issue 5.
-Nutt, David. Addiction: lifestyle choice or medical diagnosis? Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice. Jun2013, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p493-496.
- Park, Sunhee; Weaver, Terri E.; Romer, Daniel; Predictors of the Transition From Experimental to Daily Smoking Among Adolescents in the United States; Journal for Specialists in Pediatric Nursing, April 2009, Vol 14, Issue 2
- Polcin, Douglas; Comprehensive Model for Adolescent Chemical Dependency Treatment; Journal of Counseling & Development, Jan/Feb 1992, Vol. 70, Issue 3.
-Reingle Gonzalez, Jennifer M.; Connell, Nadine M.; Businelle, Michael S.; Jennings, Wesley G.; Chartier, Karen G. Characteristics of adults involved in alcohol-related intimate partner violence: results from a nationally representative sample. BMC Public Health. 2014, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p193-206.
- Russo, Francine. Is Your Teen a Night Owl? That Could Explain His Poor Grades. Time.com. 11/15/2013, p1-1
- Schaefer, Dick; Choices & Consequences: What to Do When a Teenager Uses Alcohol/Drugs; Johnson Institute/Hazelden: Minnesota; 1987.
- Schmidt, John, Substance Abuse Prevention and Intervention: An Expanded Perspective for Counselors, Journal of Counseling & Development, May/Jun 1994, Vol. 72, Issue 5.
- Smith, Julianne. Got Teens? The Doctor Moms' Guide to Sexuality, Social Media and Other Adolescent Realities. Library Journal. 5/15/2014, Vol. 139 Issue 9, p61-61.
-Stewart, David & Sandra Brown, Withdrawal and Dependency Symptoms Among Adolescent Alcohol and Drug Abusers, Addiction, May 1995, Vol. 90, Issue 5.
- Tighe MS, Allen A; Stop the Chaos: How to Get Control of Your Life by Beating Alcohol & Drugs; Hazelden: Minnesota; 1999.
- Tubman, Jonathan G., Wagner, Eric F., Gil, Andres, & Kerensa Pate; Brief Motivational Intervention for Substance-Abusing Delinquent Adolescents:Guided Self-Change as a Social Work Practice Innovation; Health & Social Work; Aug2002; Vol. 27;Issue 3.
- Winters, Ken; The Need for Improved Assessment of Adolescent Substance Involvement; Journal of Drug Issues, Summer 1990, Vol. 20, Issue 3.
Author/Instructor: Tracy Appleton, LCSW, MEd