The Reference below is from the U.S. Department of Justice
Office of Justice Programs National Institute of Justice.
1. Use + and – at top of page to increase or decrease size
2. Click and drag on page to move text to be more visible , if needed
3. Click speaker at top of page to add or delete sound
4. If message below indicates "A plugin is needed to display this content." CLICK HERE
Questions? Email: [email protected]
- Abramson, M. Reflections on Knowing Oneself Ethically: Toward a Working Framework for Social Work Practice. Families in Society. 1996a. 77(4). pg. 195-202.
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy. (2015, January 1). Code of Ethics. Retrieved from http://www.aamft.org/iMIS15/AAMFT/Content/Legal_Ethics/Code_of_Ethics.aspx
- American Counseling Association. (2014). ACA Code of Ethics. Retrieved from http://www.counseling.org/docs/ethics/2014-aca-code-of-ethics.pdf?sfvrsn=4
- American Psychological Association (APA). (2017, January 1). Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct. Retrieved from http://www.apa.org/ethics/code
- Barker, R. L. (1998). Milestones in the Development of Social Work and Social Welfare. Washington, DC: NASW Press. Rankin, Mary, JD, employed by the Healthcare Training Institute to research and write the article, Evolution of Social Work Ethics. Edited by Tracy Appleton, LCSW. Reference Barker, Robert L. Milestones in the Development of Social Work and Social Welfare. Washington, DC NASW Press, 1998.
- Bemecker, Samantha L. Helping Clients Help Themselves: Managing Ethical Concerns When Offering Guided Self-Help Interventions in Psychotherapy Practice. Professional Psychology: Research & Practice. April 2014. Vol. 45, Issue 2. pg. 111-119.
- Burton, Stephen, Furr, Susan. Conflict in Multicultural Classes: Approaches to Resolving Difficult Dialogues. Counselor Education & Supervision. June 2014. Vol. 53, Issue 2. pg. 97-110.
- Chao, Ruth Chu-Lien. Race/Ethnicity and Multicultural Competence Among School Counselors: Multicultural Training, Racial/Ethnic Identity, and Color-Blind Racial Attitudes. Journal of Counseling & Development. April 2013. Vol. 91, Issue 2. pg. 140-151.
- Cottone, Rocco, & Ronald Claus. Ethical Decision-Making Models: A Review of the Literature. Journal of Counseling & Development. Summer 2000. Vol. 78, Issue 3.
-Durant, Alan. and Ifan Shepherd. 'Culture' and 'Communication' in Intercultural Communication. European Journal of English Studies. 2009-08. Vol. 13, Issue 2.
- Haigh, Martin. Fostering Cross-Cultural Empathy With Non-Western Curricular Structures. Journal of Studies in International Education. 2009-06. Vol. 13, Issue 2.
- Hall, E.T. Beyond Culture. New York. Anchor Press/Doubleday. 1976.
- Hanna, Fred J., Cardona, Betty. Multicultural Counseling Beyond the Relationship: Expanding the Repertoire With Techniques. Journal of Counseling & Development. July 2013. Vol. 91, Issue 3. pg. 349-357.
- Harley, Debra et al. Race, Class, and Gender: A Constellation of Positionalities with Implications for Counseling. Journal of Multicultural Counseling & Development. October 2002. Vol. 30.
- Henderson, Kathryn L. Mandated Reporting of Child Abuse: Considerations and Guidelines for Mental Health Counselors. Journal of Mental Health Counseling. October 2013. Vol. 35, Issue 4. pg. 296-309.
- Johnson, Jennifer M., Lambie, Glenn W. Ethnic Identity and Social-Cognitive Maturity in a Multicultural Group Experience. Counselor Education & Supervision. September 2013. Vol. 52, Issue 3. pg. 193-206.
- Kagnici, Dilek Yelda. Reflections of a Multicultural Counseling Course: A Qualitative Study with Counseling Students and Counselors. Educational Sciences: Theory & Practice. 2014. Vol. 14, Issue 1., pg. 53-62.
- Kangas, Julie L., Calvert, James D. Ethical Issues in Mental Health Background Checks for Firearm Ownership. Professional Psychology: Research & Practice. February 2014. Vol. 45, Issue 1. pg. 76-83.
- Kerl, Stella B. Using Narrative Approaches to Teach Multicultural Counseling. Journal of Multicultural Counseling & Development. April 2002. Vol. 30.
- Kocet, Michael M. Ethical Challenges in a Complex World: Highlights of the 2005 ACA Code of Ethics. Journal of Counseling & Development. Spring 2006. Vol. 84, Issue 2.
- Loewenberg, F. M., Dolgoff, R. & Harrington, D. Ethical Decisions for Social Work Practice. Itasca, Illinois. F.E. Peacock. 2000
- Moe, Cathrine. Kvig, Erling I. Brinchmann, Beate. Brinchmann, Berit S. 'Working Behind the Scenes’: An Ethical View of Mental Health Nursing and First-Episode Psychosis. Nursing Ethics. August 2013. Vol. 20, Issue 5. pg. 517-527.
- National Association of Social Workers. (2017). NASW Code of Ethics. Retrieved from https://www.socialworkers.org/About/Ethics/Code-of-Ethics/Code-of-Ethics-English
- National Board for Certified Counselors, Inc. and Affiliates. (2016, October 7). NBCC Code of Ethics. Retrieved from https://www.nbcc.org/Assets/Ethics/NBCCCodeofEthics.pdf
- Pwono, Damien M. Fostering a Cultural Diplomacy Policy Dialogue: The Quest for Stewardship and Cooperative Engagement. Journal of Arts Management Law & Society. 2010-01. Vol. 39, Issue 4.
- Reamer, F. G. The Social Work Ethics Audit: A Risk-Management Strategy. Social Work. 2000. 45(4), pg. 355-366.
- Reamer, Frederic G. Social Work Ethics Casebook: Cases and Commentary. Washington, DC. NASW Press. 2009.
- Reamer, Frederic G. Social Work Malpractice and Liability: Strategies for Prevention. 2nd ed. (New York: Columbia University Press, 2003)
- Reamer, Frederic G. Social Work Values and Ethics. 3rd ed. (New York: Columbia University Press, 2006)
- Reamer, Frederic G. Ethical Standards in Social Work: A Review of the NASW Code of Ethics. 2nd ed. (Washington, DC: NASW Press, 2006)
- Reamer, Frederic G. The Social Work Ethics Audit: A Risk-management Tool. (Washington, DC: NASW Press, 2001)
- Reamer, Frederic G. Tangled Relationships: Managing Boundaries in the Human Services. (New York: Columbia University Press, 2001)
- Reamer, Frederic G. Ethics Education in Social Work. (Alexandria, VA: Council on Social Work Education, 2001)
- Rosay Ph.D., Andre B. Violence Against American Indian and Alaska Native Women and Men - 2010 Findings From the National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey. National Institute of Justice Research Report. May 2016. pg. 51-52.
- Rothstein, Mark A. Tarasoff Duties after Newtown. Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics. Spring 2014. Vol. 42, Issue 1. pg. 104-109.
- Sciarra, Daniel T. Multiculturalism in Counseling. F.E. Peacock Publishers, Inc. Itasca. 1999.
- Segal, Bernard Ph.D. Drinking and Drinking-Related Problems among Alaska Natives. Alcohol Health and Research World. Vol. 22, No. 4. 1998. pg. 276-280.
- Simpkins, G., Williams, R.L., & Gunnings, T. What a Culture a Difference Makes: A Rejoinder of Valentine. Harvard Educational Review. 1971. 41, 4. pg. 525-541.
- Sue, Derald Wing. Counseling the Culturally Different: Theory and Practice. John Wiley & Sons. New York. 1981.
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Alaska Region. (2012). Visiting and Listening Meaningful Participation for Alaska Native Peoples in Conservation Projects. U.S. Department of the Interior.
Coordinating Author/Instructor: Tracy Appleton, LCSW, MEd
The article above contains foundational information. Articles below contain optional updates.