Welcome to the Home Study Course sponsored by the Healthcare Training Institute. This course is entitled, Addiction Volume 5: Tools for Controlled Drinking. Our primary intent for this home study course is to provide quality education to foster your professional growth. The Institute has provided quality education since 1979.
We appreciate that you have chosen us as a vehicle for you to earn your Continuing Education Credit.
The purpose of the course is to assist you in increasing your knowledge regarding how to treat patients, clients, etc. dealing with excessive drinking. As each case study is given, if the concepts seem to be applicable to your situation, I encourage you to turn your CD player off and make a few notes regarding the application of the principle to your setting. However, these notes are for your purposes only and are not to be sent to the Institute. Also each track is very content dense. So feel free to replay the track to review the content either for your own purposes, or if you feel appropriate play the track in an individual or group session for client education. Also permission is granted to reproduce this CD. We encourage you to duplicate and give copies of this CD to colleagues, clients, etc. as you deem appropriate. We feel the information on our CD's is valuable. Thus, we have an interest in distributing CD's in as many ways as possible, to benefit the greatest number of people, who have a need and are receptive to this practical information.
The questions in your Answer Booklet are sequential and deal with the section of content that preceded it. For this reason, to facilitate the answering of each question, you might read the question from the Answer Booklet prior to listening to that CD track. By knowing what the question is ahead of time, you will then know the content to listen for that contains the answer. So just a hint, after you write down the answer to a question in your Answer Booklet, read on to the next question in order to give you a "heads up" to listen for the content that contains the answer to the next question.
Merely write the correct letter on the corresponding blank line in your answer booklet. Each answer is only used once. Keep in mind there is nothing tricky or hard about these questions. They are merely intended to verify the playing of this CD.
For the purpose of brevity, most generally, I will use the term "therapists" or "mental health professional." However, don’t let these terms deter you from applying the concepts to your situations. When you hear the word "therapists," if your job title is social worker, psychologist, marriage and family therapist, mental health counselor, professional counselor, resident director, program assistant, etc. merely substitute the appropriate term that is the most meaningful to you. In short, don’t let my use of the term "therapists" cognitively set you off track from hearing the content because your job title is school counselor, for example. I will also use the term "client" for the purposes of brevity. However, if you deal with patients, residents, students, consumers, etc., transpose "client" for the term that is the most meaningful to you in your work setting.
On this CD set we will discuss such topics as: self monitoring, slowing down, affirming progress, identifying triggers, managing emotions, preserving positive self concepts, and relating to others.
So, let’s get started...
You may, of course, have clients whom you feel perhaps needs to go to a twelve step program and stop drinking altogether. However, what is your strategy when your client states to you, "I am not an alcoholic. I don’t feel I need to stop drinking, but I would like to control my drinking." So the stance I take is what I term in my mind, "step zero", which is the step before admitting that he or she may be powerless over alcohol. When my client is at ‘step zero’, they are not interested in stopping and only interested in cutting down the amount that they drink. I have found, like you, that after many clients unsuccessfully tried controlling their drinking, they hit bottom and perhaps decided to go to a 12 step program.
This course is geared towards your "step zero’ clients that come into your office requesting help to control their drinking. According to author William R. Miller, author of "Controlling Your Drinking" he has had a 63% success rate with his clients that want to try controlled drinking. Miller reports the other 37% ended up deciding they were alcoholics and that controlled drinking did not work for them.
For your client who is at ‘step zero’ and does not feel they are an alcoholic and is not motivated to stop drinking totally, consider providing them with tools for moderation and control, which is the purpose of this course.