Peer-Reviewed Journal Article References:
Alonzo, D., Thompson, R. G., Stohl, M., & Hasin, D. (2014). The influence of parental divorce and alcohol abuse on adult offspring risk of lifetime suicide attempt in the united states. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 84(3), 316–320.
Bohner, G., Echterhoff, G., Glaß, C., Patrzek, J., & Lampridis, E. (2010). Distress in response to infidelities committed by the partners of close others: Siblings versus friends. Social Psychology, 41(4), 223–229.
Boring, J. L., Sandler, I. N., Tein, J.-Y., Horan, J. J., & Vélez, C. E. (2015). Children of divorce–coping with divorce: A randomized control trial of an online prevention program for youth experiencing parental divorce. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 83(5), 999–1005.
Christopher, C., Wolchik, S., Tein, J.-Y., Carr, C., Mahrer, N. E., & Sandler, I. (2017). Long-term effects of a parenting preventive intervention on young adults’ painful feelings about divorce. Journal of Family Psychology, 31(7), 799–809.
Hald, G. M., Ciprić, A., Øverup, C. S., Štulhofer, A., Lange, T., Sander, S., Gad Kjeld, S., & Strizzi, J. M. (2020). Randomized controlled trial study of the effects of an online divorce platform on anxiety, depression, and somatization. Journal of Family Psychology. Advance online publication.
Horberg, E. J., & Chen, S. (2010). Significant others and contingencies of self-worth: Activation and consequences of relationship-specific contingencies of self-worth. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 98(1), 77–91.
IJzerman, H., Blanken, I., Brandt, M. J., Oerlemans, J. M., Van den Hoogenhof, M. M. W., Franken, S. J. M., & Oerlemans, M. W. G. (2014). Sex differences in distress from infidelity in early adulthood and in later life: A replication and meta-analysis of Shackelford et al. (2004). Social Psychology, 45(3), 202–208.
Jamison, E. C., Bol, K. A., & Mintz, S. N. (2019). Analysis of the effects on time between divorce decree and suicide. Crisis: The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention, 40(5), 309–316.
Krumrei, E. J., Mahoney, A., & Pargament, K. I. (2011). Spiritual stress and coping model of divorce: A longitudinal study. Journal of Family Psychology, 25(6), 973–985.
Markman, H. J., Rhoades, G. K., Stanley, S. M., & Peterson, K. M. (2013). A randomized clinical trial of the effectiveness of premarital intervention: Moderators of divorce outcomes. Journal of Family Psychology, 27(1), 165–172.
Nash, B., & Chapman, N. A. (2019). Building a culture of caring: Lessons learned from managing professional expectations while navigating the emotional upheaval of divorce. Journal of Psychotherapy Integration, 29(2), 95–107.
O'Hara, K. L., Sandler, I. N., Wolchik, S. A., Tein, J.-Y., & Rhodes, C. A. (2019). Parenting time, parenting quality, interparental conflict, and mental health problems of children in high-conflict divorce. Journal of Family Psychology, 33(6), 690–703.
Øverup, C. S., Ciprić, A., Gad Kjeld, S., Strizzi, J. M., Sander, S., Lange, T., & Hald, G. M. (2020). Cooperation after divorce: A randomized controlled trial of an online divorce intervention on hostility. Psychology of Violence.Advance online publication.
Reed, K., Lucier-Greer, M., & Parker, T. S. (2016). Exploring parental divorce among emerging adult women: The roles of support networks and family relationships. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 47(3), 231–241.
Scott, S. B., Rhoades, G. K., Stanley, S. M., Allen, E. S., & Markman, H. J. (2013). Reasons for divorce and recollections of premarital intervention: Implications for improving relationship education. Couple and Family Psychology: Research and Practice, 2(2), 131–145.
Solomon, B. C., & Jackson, J. J. (2014). Why do personality traits predict divorce? Multiple pathways through satisfaction. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 106(6), 978–996.
Tein, J.-Y., Sandler, I. N., Braver, S. L., & Wolchik, S. A. (2013). Development of a brief parent-report risk index for children following parental divorce. Journal of Family Psychology, 27(6), 925–936.
van Scheppingen, M. A., & Leopold, T. (2019). Trajectories of life satisfaction before, upon, and after divorce: Evidence from a new matching approach. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. Advance online publication.
Votruba, A. M., Braver, S. L., Ellman, I. M., & Fabricius, W. V. (2014). Moral intuitions about fault, parenting, and child custody after divorce.Psychology, Public Policy, and Law, 20(3), 251–262.
Weaver, J. M., & Schofield, T. J. (2015). Mediation and moderation of divorce effects on children’s behavior problems. Journal of Family Psychology, 29(1), 39–48.
Weiss, B., Lavner, J. A., & Miller, J. D. (2018). Self- and partner-reported psychopathic traits’ relations with couples’ communication, marital satisfaction trajectories, and divorce in a longitudinal sample. Personality Disorders: Theory, Research, and Treatment, 9(3), 239–249.
Wolchik, S. A., Sandler, I. N., Tein, J.-Y., Mahrer, N. E., Millsap, R. E., Winslow, E., Vélez, C., Porter, M. M., Luecken, L. J., & Reed, A. (2013). Fifteen-year follow-up of a randomized trial of a preventive intervention for divorced families: Effects on mental health and substance use outcomes in young adulthood. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 81(4), 660–673.
Wortman, J., & Lucas, R. E. (2016). Spousal similarity in life satisfaction before and after divorce. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 110(4), 625–633.
- Anderson, J. (2014). The Impact of Family Structure on the Health of Children: Effects of Divorce. The Linacre Quarterly, 81(4). p. 378-387.
- Anderson, Keith M.D.; "On Your Own Again: The Down to Earth Guide to Getting Through a Divorce or Separation and Getting on with Your Life." McClelland and Stewart. Toronto, Ontario. 1995.
- Baum, Nehami, American Journal of Psychotherapy, 00029564, 2004, Vol. 58, Issue 2
- Beattie, Melody; "Beyond Codependency: And Getting Better All the Time." Hazelden: Minnesota; 1989
- Bergner, Raymond M.; "Pathological Self-Criticism: Assessment and Treatment." Plenum Press. New York, NY. 1995.
- Bowyer, Susannah, Community Care, 9/6/2007, Issue 1689
- Braddock, Carolyn J.; "Body Voices." Page Mill Press: California; 1997
- Carlson, Richard, Ph.D.; "You Can Feel Good Again." Dutton published by Penguin Books. New York, NY. 1993.
- Carter, Les, Ph.D. & Minirth, Frank, M.D.; "The Anger Workbook"; Thomas Nelson Inc.; Nashville, TN; 1993.
- Cohen, George J., Pediatrics, 00314005, Nov2002, Vol. 110, Issue 5
- Connolly, M. E. and Green, E. J. Evidence-Based Counseling Interventions with Chidren of Divorce: Implications for Elementary School Counselors.
- D'Onofrio, B. and Emery, R. (2019). Parental Divorce or Separation and Children's Mental Health. World Psychiatry, 18(1). p. 100-101.
- DeKeseredy, Walter S. Ph.D. Sexual Assault During and After Separation/Divorce: An Exploratory Study. University of Ontario Institute of Technology. March 2007.
- Duffell, Nick, CPJ: Counselling & Psychotherapy Journal, 14745372, Nov2004, Vol. 15, Issue 9
- Eckstein, Donna; Eckstein, Sarah; Eckstein, Daniel. Creating Respect in Couples: The Couple’s Respect Questionnaire (CRQ). Family Journal. Jan2014, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p98-104. 7p. DOI: 10.1177/1066480713505062.
- Ganske, Mary Garner, Parenting, 0890247X, Aug2002, Vol. 16, Issue 6
- Goldman, Rhonda N.; Greenberg, Leslie, Working with Identity and Self-soothing in Emotion-Focused Therapy for Couples, Family Process. Mar2013, Vol. 52 Issue 1, p62-82. 21p.
- Gumina, Joseph M.; Communication of the Decision to Divorce: A Retrospective Qualitative Study; Journal of Divorce & Remarriage, April 2009, Vol 50 Issue 3, p220
- Hankins, Gary, Ph.D. & Hankins, Carol; "Prescription for Anger: Coping With Angry Feelings and Angry People"; Warner Books, Inc.; New York, NY; 1993.
- Helmstetter, Shad, Ph.D.; "What To Say When You Talk to Yourself." Simon & Schuster. New York, NY. 1982.
-Krumrei, Elizabeth J.; Mahoney, Annette; Pargament, Kenneth I.; Divorce and the Divine: The Role of Spirituality in Adjustment to Divorce; Journal of Marriage & Family, May 2009, Vol 71 Issue 2, p373
- Lee, C. M. and Bax, K. A.(2000). Children's Reactions to Parental Separation and Divorce. Paediatr Child Health, 5(4). p. 217-218.
- LifeCare. (2011). Coping with Divorce or Separation, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- LifeCare. (2011). Helping Children Cope with Divorce or Separation. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Meza-de-Luna, M. E.; Romero-Zepeda, H. Trames: Areas of Conflict in the Intimte Couple. A Journal of the Humanities & Social Sciences. 2013, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p87-100. 14p. 1 Diagram. DOI: 10.3176/tr.2013.1.04.
-Pakhomova, E. I.; Marriage and Divorce: What Has Changed in the Perceptions of Russians?; Russian Education & Society, May 2009, Vol 51 Issue 5, p30
-Papp, Peggy; Scheinkman, Michele; Malpas, Jean, Breaking the Mold: Sculpting Impasses in Couples' Therapy, Family Process. Mar2013, Vol. 52 Issue 1, p33-45. 13p.
- Perissutti, Christina; Barraca, Jorge. Integrative Behavioral Couple Therapy vs. Traditional Behavioral Couple Therapy: A theoretical review of the differential effectiveness. Clinica y Salud. mar2013, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p11-18. 8p. 1 Chart. DOI: 10.5093/c12013a2.
- Rognmo, Kamilla; Torvik, Fartein A.; Idstad, Mariann; Tambs, Kristian. More mental health problems after divorce in couples with high pre-divorce alcohol consumption than in other divorced couples: results from the HUNT-study. BMC Public Health. 2013, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p1-11. 11p. 8 Charts. DOI: 10.1186/1471-2458-13-852.
- Smoke, Jim; "Growing Through Divorce." Harvest House Publishers. Eugene, OR. 1995.
- Stone, Glenn, Journal of Genetic Psychology, 00221325, Dec2001, Vol. 162, Issue 4
- Sviggum, Greta, Family Matters, 10302646, Autumn2000, Issue 55
- Tambling, Rachel B.; Wong, Alison G.; Anderson, Shayne R. Expectations About Couple Therapy: A Qualitative Investigation. American Journal of Family Therapy. Jan/Feb2014, Vol. 42 Issue 1, p29-41. 13p. DOI: 10.1080/01926187.2012.747944
- Tyre, Peg, The Secret Pain of Divorce; Newsweek; 10/24/2005; Vol. 146 Issue 17
- Wells, Theodora; "Keeping your Cool Under Fire: Communicating Non-Defensively"; McGraw-Hill; New York, NY; 1980.