Peer-Reviewed Journal Article References:
Andover, M. S., Schatten, H. T., Morris, B. W., Holman, C. S., & Miller, I. W. (2017). An intervention for nonsuicidal self-injury in young adults: A pilot randomized controlled trial. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 85(6), 620–631.
Bentley, K. H., Nock, M. K., Sauer-Zavala, S., Gorman, B. S., & Barlow, D. H. (2017). A functional analysis of two transdiagnostic, emotion-focused interventions on nonsuicidal self-injury. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 85(6), 632–646.
Carpenter, R. W., & Trull, T. J. (2015). The pain paradox: Borderline personality disorder features, self-harm history, and the experience of pain. Personality Disorders: Theory, Research, and Treatment, 6(2), 141–151.
Casey, E. A., Storer, H. L., & Herrenkohl, T. I. (2018). Mapping a continuum of adolescent helping and bystander behavior within the context of dating violence and bullying. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 88(3), 335–345.
Cole, B. P., & Davidson, M. M. (2019). Exploring men’s perceptions about male depression. Psychology of Men & Masculinities, 20(4), 459–466.
Gini, G., Thornberg, R., & Pozzoli, T. (2020). Individual moral disengagement and bystander behavior in bullying: The role of moral distress and collective moral disengagement. Psychology of Violence, 10(1), 38–47.
Gough, B. (2016). Men’s depression talk online: A qualitative analysis of accountability and authenticity in help-seeking and support formulations. Psychology of Men & Masculinity, 17(2), 156–164.
Gradinger, P., Strohmeier, D., & Spiel, C. (2017). Parents’ and teachers’ opinions on bullying and cyberbullying prevention: The relevance of their own children’s or students’ involvement. Zeitschrift für Psychologie, 225(1), 76–84.
Karavalaki, M., & Shumaker, D. (2016). An existential–integrative (ei) treatment of adolescent substance abuse. The Humanistic Psychologist, 44(4), 381–399.
Key, K. D., Ceremony, H. N., & Vaughn, A. A. (2019). Testing two models of stigma for birth mothers of a child with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Stigma and Health, 4(2), 196–203.
Lapointe, A. R., Garcia, C., Taubert, A. L., & Sleet, M. G. (2010). Frequent use of psychiatric hospitalization for low-income, inner-city ethnic minority youth. Psychological Services, 7(3), 162–176.
Lee, S. C., & Hanson, R. K. (2016). Recidivism risk factors are correlated with a history of psychiatric hospitalization among sex offenders. Psychological Services, 13(3), 261–271.
Lewis, K. C. (2019). Review of Teenage suicide notes: An ethnography of self-harm [Review of the book Teenage suicide notes: An ethnography of self-Harm, by T. Williams]. Psychoanalytic Psychology, 36(1), 108–111.
Madjar, N., Segal, N., Eger, G., & Shoval, G. (2019). Exploring particular facets of cognitive emotion regulation and their relationships with nonsuicidal self-injury among adolescents. Crisis: The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention, 40(4), 280–286.
Marcus, D. K., Kashy, D. A., Wintersteen, M. B., & Diamond, G. S. (2011). The therapeutic alliance in adolescent substance abuse treatment: A one-with-many analysis. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 58(3), 449–455.
McLachlan, K., Gray, A. L., Roesch, R., Douglas, K. S., & Viljoen, J. L. (2018). An evaluation of the predictive validity of the SAVRY and YLS/CMI in justice-involved youth with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Psychological Assessment, 30(12), 1640–1651.
McLachlan, K., Roesch, R., Viljoen, J. L., & Douglas, K. S. (2014). Evaluating the psycholegal abilities of young offenders with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Law and Human Behavior, 38(1), 10–22.
Miret, M., Nuevo, R., Morant, C., Sainz-Cortón, E., Jiménez-Arriero, M. Á., López-Ibor, J. J., Reneses, B., Saiz-Ruiz, J., Baca-García, E., & Ayuso-Mateos, J. L. (2011). The role of suicide risk in the decision for psychiatric hospitalization after a suicide attempt. Crisis: The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention, 32(2), 65–73.
Nadeau, M. M., Balsan, M. J., & Rochlen, A. B. (2016). Men’s depression: Endorsed experiences and expressions. Psychology of Men & Masculinity, 17(4), 328–335.
Piehler, T. F., & Winters, K. C. (2017). Decision-making style and response to parental involvement in brief interventions for adolescent substance use. Journal of Family Psychology, 31(3), 336–346.
Rasmussen, S., Hawton, K., Philpott-Morgan, S., & O'Connor, R. C. (2016). Why do adolescents self-harm? An investigation of motives in a community sample. Crisis: The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention, 37(3), 176–183.
Scalco, M. D., Meisel, S. N., & Colder, C. R. (2016). Misperception and accurate perception of close friend substance use in early adolescence: Developmental and intervention implications. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 30(3), 300–311.
Shea, M., Wang, C., Shi, W., Gonzalez, V., & Espelage, D. (2016). Parents and teachers’ perspectives on school bullying among elementary school-aged Asian and Latino immigrant children. Asian American Journal of Psychology, 7(2), 83–96.
Véronneau, M.-H., Dishion, T. J., Connell, A. M., & Kavanagh, K. (2016). A randomized, controlled trial of the family check-up model in public secondary schools: Examining links between parent engagement and substance use progressions from early adolescence to adulthood. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 84(6), 526–543.
Waasdorp, T. E., Bradshaw, C. P., & Duong, J. (2011). The link between parents' perceptions of the school and their responses to school bullying: Variation by child characteristics and the forms of victimization. Journal of Educational Psychology, 103(2), 324–335.
Zhao, X., & Selman, R. L. (2020). Bystanders’ responsibilities in a situation of teasing: A dual dynamic analysis (DDA) for understanding culture, context, and youth moral development. Qualitative Psychology, 7(1), 1–22.
- Branstetter, Steven A.; Horn, Kimberly; Dino, Geri; Zhang, Jianjun; Beyond quitting: Predictors of teen smoking cessation, reduction and acceleration following a school-based intervention; Drug & Alcohol Dependence, January 2009, Vol 99, Issues 1-3
- Coker, Kelly, Four-Fold Prevention: Strategies to Prevent Substance Abuse Among Elementary School-Aged Children; Professional School Counseling; Oct 2001; Vol. 5; Issue 1.
- Cooke, Liz; Gotto, Jennifer; Mayorga, Lina; Grant, Marcia; Lynn, Rachel. What Do I Say? Suicide Assessment and Management. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing. Feb2013, Vol. 17 Issue 1, pE1-E7.
- Curry, Susan J.; Mermeistein, Robin J.; Sporer, Amy K; Therapy for Specific Problems: Youth Tobacco Cessation; Annual Review of Psychology, 2009, Vol 60, Issue 1
- Deuter, Kate; Galley, Philip; Champion, Andrew; Gordon, Andrea; Halczuk, Tony; Jackson, Adrian; Jones, Annette; Legg, Lesley; Murison, Julie; Newman, Conrad; Procter, Nicholas; Williamson, Penny. Risk assessment and risk management: Developing a model of shared learning in clinical practice. Advances in Mental Health. 2013, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p157-162.
- Finn, Kristin, Willert, Jeanette & Michele Marable; Substance Abuse in Schools; Educational Leadership; Mar 2003, Vol. 60,Issue 6.
- Herrmann, Scott & Jeffries McWhirter, Refusal and Resistance Skills for Children and Adolescents: A Selected Review, Journal of Counseling & Development, Jan/Feb 1997, Vol. 75, Issue 3.
- Jordan, Karen M., Substance Abuse Among Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning Adolescents, School Psychology Review, 2000, Vol. 29, Issue 2.
- Kruczek, Theresa, Alexander, Charlene, & Kevin Harris, An After-School Program for High-Risk Middle School Students, Professional School Counseling, Dec 2005, Vol. 9, Issue 2.
- Lambie, Glenn & Laurie Rokutani, Systems Approach to Substance Abuse Identification and Intervention for School Counselors, Professional School Counseling, Jun 2002, Vol. 5, Issue 5.
- Maman, Suzanne; Moodley, Dhayendre; McNaughton-Reyes, Heathe Luz; Groves, Allison K.; Kagee, Ashraf; Moodley, Prashini. Efficacy of Enhanced HIV Counseling for Risk Reduction during Pregnancy and in the Postpartum Period: A Randomized Controlled Trial. PLoS ONE. May2014, Vol. 9 Issue 5, p1-9.
- Park, Sunhee; Weaver, Terri E.; Romer, Daniel; Predictors of the Transition From Experimental to Daily Smoking Among Adolescents in the United States; Journal for Specialists in Pediatric Nursing, April 2009, Vol 14, Issue 2
- Polcin, Douglas; Comprehensive Model for Adolescent Chemical Dependency Treatment; Journal of Counseling & Development, Jan/Feb 1992, Vol. 70, Issue 3.
- Schaefer, Dick; Choices & Consequences: What to Do When a Teenager Uses Alcohol/Drugs; Johnson Institute/Hazelden: Minnesota; 1987.
- Schmidt, John, Substance Abuse Prevention and Intervention: An Expanded Perspective for Counselors, Journal of Counseling & Development, May/Jun 1994, Vol. 72, Issue 5.
-Stewart, David & Sandra Brown, Withdrawal and Dependency Symptoms Among Adolescent Alcohol and Drug Abusers, Addiction, May 1995, Vol. 90, Issue 5.
- Tighe MS, Allen A; Stop the Chaos: How to Get Control of Your Life by Beating Alcohol & Drugs; Hazelden: Minnesota; 1999.
- Tubman, Jonathan G., Wagner, Eric F., Gil, Andres, & Kerensa Pate; Brief Motivational Intervention for Substance-Abusing Delinquent Adolescents:Guided Self-Change as a Social Work Practice Innovation; Health & Social Work; Aug2002; Vol. 27;Issue 3.
- Winters, Ken; The Need for Improved Assessment of Adolescent Substance Involvement; Journal of Drug Issues, Summer 1990, Vol. 20, Issue 3.
- Backer, Kathleen Lent, Walton-Moss, Benita; Detecting and Addressing Alcohol Abuse in Women; Nurse Practitioner; Oct2001; Vol. 26, Issue 10.
-Brown, Phyllida; Drinking for two?; New Scientist; 7/1/2006; Vol. 191, Issue 2558
- Burden, Matthew J.; Andrew, Colin; Saint-Amour, Dave; Meintjes, Ernesta M.; Molteno, Christopher D.; Hoyme, H. Eugene; Robinson, Luther K.; Khaole, Nathaniel; Nelson, Charles A.; Jacobson, Joseph L.; Jacobson, Sandra W; The Effects of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder on Response Execution and Inhibition: An Event-Related Potential Study; Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research; November2009; Vol 33, Issue 11
- Chandrasena, Amali N.; Mukherjee, Raja A. S.; Turk, Jeremy; Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders: An Overview of Interventions for Affected Individuals; Child & Adolescent Mental Health; November 2009, Vol 14, Issue 4
-Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder and Alcohol-Related Neurodevelopmental Disorders; Pediatrics; Aug2000; Vol. 106, Issue 2
- Harpur, Lisa; FASD Teens in the Classroom: Basic Strategies; Guidance & Counseling; Fall2001; Vol. 17, Issue 1
- Interviewing Technique Reduces Risk for Binge Drinking, Unplanned Pregnancies; Ascribe Newswire: Health, 1/2/2007
- Lemola, Sakari; Stadlmayr, Werner; Grob, Alexander; Infant irritability: The impact of fetal alcohol exposure, maternal depressive symptoms, and low emotional support from the husband; Infant Mental Health Journal, February 2009, Vol 30 Issue 1
- McLean, Candis; The Fetal Alcohol Crisis; Report/Newsmagazine (BC Edition); 2000; Vol. 27, Issue 10.
- Motivational Intervention to Reduce Alcohol-Exposed Pregnancies --- Florida, Texas, and Virginia, 1997-2001; MMWR: Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report; 5/16/2003; Vol. 52, Issue 19
- O'Malley, Kieran D, Nanson, Jo; Clinical Implications of a Link Between Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder and Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder; Canadian Journal of Psychiatry; May2002, Vol. 47, Issue 4
- Prenatal Exposure to Alcohol; Alcohol Research & Health; 2000; Vol. 24, Issue 1
- Ryan, Doreen Major, Bonnett, Doreen M., Gass, Callie B.; Sobering Thoughts: Town Hall Meetings on Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders; American Journal of Public Health; Dec2006; Vol. 96, Issue 12
- Bloom, Adi; Self-harm makes its mark on pre-teens; Times Educational Supplement, September 2009, Issue 4821, p38
- Campbell, Jacquelyn PhD, Assessing Dangerousness, Sage Publications: London, 1999.
- Committee on Child Psychiatry, The Process of Child Therapy, Brunner/Mazel Publishers: New York, 1997.
- Conterio, Karen PhD, & Wendy Lader, Bodily Harm: The Breakthrough Treatment Program for Self-Injurers, Hyperion: New York, 1998.
- Hewitt, Kim PhD, Mutilating the Body: Identity in Blood and Ink, Bowling Green State University Popular Press: Bowling Green, 1997.
- Johnson, Elmer MA, Correlates of Felon Self-Mutilations, Heckman Bindery: Manchester, 1997.
- Matwichuk, Meghann R.; Cut-Up Kids: The Epidemic of Self-Harm; School Library Journal, September 2009, Vol 55 Issue 9, p56
- Monahan, John PhD, Predicting Violent Behavior: An Assessment of Clinical Techniques, Sage Publications: London, 2001.
- Preisendorfer, Cheryl; Stopping the Pain: Teenage Self-Injury; School Library Journal, December 2009, Vol 55 Issue 12, p59
- Schroeder, Stephen PhD, Oster-Granite, Mary PhD, & Travis Thompson, Self-Injurious Behavior, American Psychological Association: Washington DC, 2002.
- Hatton, Corrine PhD, Valente, Sharon, Rink, Alice, & Edwin Shneidman, Suicide: Assessment and Intervention, Appleton-Century-Crofts: New York,
- Hipple, John MA, & Peter Cimbolic, The Counselor
and Suicidal Crisis: Diagnosis and Intervention, Thomas Books, Inc.: Springfield,
- Kubrin, Charis E.; Wadsworth, Tim; Explaining Suicide Among Blacks and Whites: How Socioeconomic Factors and Gun Availability Affect Race-Specific Suicide Rates; Social Science Quarterly (Blackwell Publishing Limited), December 2009, Vol 90 Issue 5, p1203
- Leenaars, Antoon A. PhD, Psychotherapy with Suicidal
People: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.: West Sussex, 2004.
Leenaars, Antoon PhD, Maltsberger, John T., & Robert A. Neimeyer, Treatment
of Suicidal People, Taylor & Francis: London, 1998.
- Parker, Jamie, Risk Management in the United States, Division of Risk Management, Food and Drug Administration, 2013.
-Moeller-Leimkuehler, A.M.; Yuecel, M., How gender-specific is male depression?; European Psychiatry, January 2009, Vol 24, pS182.
Richman, Joseph PhD, Family Therapy for Suicidal People, Springer Publishing
Company: New York, 1999.
- Shneidman, Edwin S. PhD, Comprehending
Suicide: Landmarks in 20th~Century Suicidology, American Psychological Association:
Washington DC, 2001.
- Shneidman, Edwin PhD, The Suicidal
Mind, Oxford University Press: New York, 2001.
- Stone R. (2015). Pregnant women and substance use: fear, stigma, and barriers to care. Health & Justice, 3, 2. doi:10.1186/s40352-015-0015-5.
- Suicide Risk Assesment Guide. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, 2018.
- Williams, John K.; Glover, Dorie A.; Wyatt, Gall E.; Kisler, Kimberly; Liu, Honghu; Zhang, Muyu. A Sexual Risk and Stress Reduction Intervention Designed for HIV-Positive Bisexual African American Men With Childhood Sexual Abuse Histories. American Journal of Public Health. Aug2013, Vol. 103 Issue 8, p1476-1484.
- Yeandle, Jane; Fawkes, Liz; Gordon, Chris; Challis, Elizabeth. Risk assessment and management of people with personality disorders. Mental Health Practice. Oct2013, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p21-23.