Peer-Reviewed Journal Article Reference:
Acuff, S. F., Soltis, K. E., Dennhardt, A. A., Borsari, B., Martens, M. P., Witkiewitz, K., & Murphy, J. G. (2019). Temporal precedence of self-regulation over depression and alcohol problems: Support for a model of self-regulatory failure. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 33(7), 603–615.
Alderson, R. M., Hudec, K. L., Patros, C. H. G., & Kasper, L. J. (2013). Working memory deficits in adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): An examination of central executive and storage/rehearsal processes. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 122(2), 532–541.
Atherton, O. E., Lawson, K. M., Ferrer, E., & Robins, R. W. (2020). The role of effortful control in the development of ADHD, ODD, and CD symptoms. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 118(6), 1226–1246.
Becker, S. P., Mossing, K. W., Zoromski, A. K., Vaughn, A. J., Epstein, J. N., Tamm, L., & Burns, G. L. (2020). Assessing sluggish cognitive tempo and ADHD inattention in elementary students: Empirical differentiation, invariance across sex and grade, and measurement precision. Psychological Assessment. Advance online publication.
Brunstein-Klomek, A., Kopelman-Rubin, D., Apter, A., Argintaru, H., & Mufson, L. (2017). A pilot feasibility study of interpersonal psychotherapy in adolescents diagnosed with specific learning disorders, attention deficit hyperactive disorder, or both with depression and/or anxiety symptoms (IPT-ALD). Journal of Psychotherapy Integration, 27(4), 526–539.
Castel, A. D., Lee, S. S., Humphreys, K. L., & Moore, A. N. (2011). Memory capacity, selective control, and value-directed remembering in children with and without attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Neuropsychology, 25(1), 15–24.
Fabiano, G. A., Schatz, N. K., Morris, K. L., Willoughby, M. T., Vujnovic, R. K., Hulme, K. F., Riordan, J., Howard, M., Hennessy, D., Lewis, K., Hawk, L., Wylie, A., & Pelham, W. E., Jr. (2016). Efficacy of a family-focused intervention for young drivers with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 84(12), 1078–1093.
Friedman, S. R., Rapport, L. J., Lumley, M., Tzelepis, A., VanVoorhis, A., Stettner, L., & Kakaati, L. (2003). Aspects of social and emotional competence in adult attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Neuropsychology, 17(1), 50–58.
Fuermaier, A. B. M., Tucha, L., Koerts, J., Aschenbrenner, S., Kaunzinger, I., Hauser, J., Weisbrod, M., Lange, K. W., & Tucha, O. (2015). Cognitive impairment in adult ADHD—Perspective matters! Neuropsychology, 29(1), 45–58.
Halbesleben, J. R. B., Wheeler, A. R., & Shanine, K. K. (2013). The moderating role of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in the work engagement–performance process. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 18(2), 132–143.
Harvey, E. A., Breaux, R. P., & Lugo-Candelas, C. I. (2016). Early development of comorbidity between symptoms of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and oppositional defiant disorder (ODD). Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 125(2), 154–167.
Helseth, S. A., Waschbusch, D. A., Gnagy, E. M., Onyango, A. N., Burrows-MacLean, L., Fabiano, G. A., Coles, E. K., Chacko, A., Wymbs, B. T., Walker, K. S., Wymbs, F. A., Garefino, A., Massetti, G. M., Robb Mazzant, J., Hoffman, M. T., Waxmonsky, J. G., Nichols-Lopez, K., & Pelham, W. E., Jr. (2015). Effects of behavioral and pharmacological therapies on peer reinforcement of deviancy in children with ADHD-only, ADHD and conduct problems, and controls. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 83(2), 280–292.
Karalunas, S. L., Gustafsson, H. C., Fair, D., Musser, E. D., & Nigg, J. T. (2019). Do we need an irritable subtype of ADHD? Replication and extension of a promising temperament profile approach to ADHD subtyping. Psychological Assessment, 31(2), 236–247.
Kofler, M. J., Harmon, S. L., Aduen, P. A., Day, T. N., Austin, K. E., Spiegel, J. A., Irwin, L., & Sarver, D. E. (2018). Neurocognitive and behavioral predictors of social problems in ADHD: A Bayesian framework. Neuropsychology, 32(3), 344–355.
Kofler, M. J., Larsen, R., Sarver, D. E., & Tolan, P. H. (2015). Developmental trajectories of aggression, prosocial behavior, and social–cognitive problem solving in emerging adolescents with clinically elevated attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder symptoms. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 124(4), 1027–1042.
Kofler, M. J., Sarver, D. E., Austin, K. E., Schaefer, H. S., Holland, E., Aduen, P. A., Wells, E. L., Soto, E. F., Irwin, L. N., Schatschneider, C., & Lonigan, C. J. (2018). Can working memory training work for ADHD? Development of central executive training and comparison with behavioral parent training. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 86(12), 964–979.
Kofler, M. J., Singh, L. J., Soto, E. F., Chan, E. S. M., Miller, C. E., Harmon, S. L., & Spiegel, J. A. (2020). Working memory and short-term memory deficits in ADHD: A bifactor modeling approach. Neuropsychology, 34(6), 686–698.
Kofler, M. J., Soto, E. F., Fosco, W. D., Irwin, L. N., Wells, E. L., & Sarver, D. E. (2020). Working memory and information processing in ADHD: Evidence for directionality of effects. Neuropsychology, 34(2), 127–143.
Lawson, R. A., Papadakis, A. A., Higginson, C. I., Barnett, J. E., Wills, M. C., Strang, J. F., Wallace, G. L., & Kenworthy, L. (2015). Everyday executive function impairments predict comorbid psychopathology in autism spectrum and attention deficit hyperactivity disorders. Neuropsychology, 29(3), 445–453.
Lorber, M. F., & Slep, A. M. S. (2015). Are persistent early onset child conduct problems predicted by the trajectories and initial levels of discipline practices? Developmental Psychology, 51(8), 1048–1061.
Loren, R. E. A., Ciesielski, H. A., & Tamm, L. (2017). Behavioral parent training groups for ADHD in clinical settings: Does offering a concurrent child group add value? Clinical Practice in Pediatric Psychology, 5(3), 221–231.
McKeague, L., Hennessy, E., O'Driscoll, C., & Heary, C. (2015).
Retrospective accounts of self-stigma experienced by young people with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) or depression. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal, 38
Musser, E. D., Karalunas, S. L., Dieckmann, N., Peris, T. S., & Nigg, J. T. (2016).
Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder developmental trajectories related to parental expressed emotion. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 125
Owens, E. B., & Hinshaw, S. P. (2016).
Childhood conduct problems and young adult outcomes among women with childhood attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 125
Prevatt, F. & Levrini, A. (2015). Case study: ADHD coaching with a young adult with comorbid mood disorders. ADHD coaching: A guide for mental health professionals
. Washington, DC, US: American Psychological Association, vi, 189-205.
Ramsay, J. R. (2017).
The relevance of cognitive distortions in the psychosocial treatment of adult ADHD. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 48
Ramsay, J. R., & Rostain, A. L. (2016).
Adult attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder as an implementation problem: Clinical significance, underlying mechanisms, and psychosocial treatment. Practice Innovations, 1
Rapport, L. J., Friedman, S. L., Tzelepis, A., & Van Voorhis, A. (2002).
Experienced emotion and affect recognition in adult attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Neuropsychology, 16
Rauch, W. A., Gold, A., & Schmitt, K. (2012).
Combining cognitive and personality measures of impulse control in the assessment of childhood ADHD. European Journal of Psychological Assessment, 28
Raz, S., & Dan, O. (2015).
Behavioral and neural correlates of facial versus nonfacial stimuli processing in adults with ADHD: An ERP study. Neuropsychology, 29
Schultz, B. K., Evans, S. W., Langberg, J. M., & Schoemann, A. M. (2017).
Outcomes for adolescents who comply with long-term psychosocial treatment for ADHD. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 85
Sibley, M. H., Graziano, P. A., Kuriyan, A. B., Coxe, S., Pelham, W. E., Rodriguez, L., Sanchez, F., Derefinko, K., Helseth, S., & Ward, A. (2016).
Parent–teen behavior therapy + motivational interviewing for adolescents with ADHD. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 84
Thorell, L. B., Sjöwall, D., Mies, G. W., & Scheres, A. (2017).
Quick Delay Questionnaire: Reliability, validity, and relations to functional impairments in adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Psychological Assessment, 29
Walther, C. A. P., Pedersen, S. L., Gnagy, E., Pelham, W. E., & Molina, B. S. G. (2019).
Specificity of expectancies prospectively predicting alcohol and marijuana use in adulthood in the Pittsburgh ADHD longitudinal study. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 33
- Antshel, K. M. (2015). Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Oxford Clinical Psychology
- Berwid, Olga G.; Halperin, Jeffrey M.; Johnson, Ray; Marks, David J. Preliminary evidence for reduced posterror reaction time slowing in hyperactive/inattentive preschool children. Child Neuropsychology.
Mar2014, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p196-209. 14p. 3 Charts, 1 Graph. DOI: 10.1080/09297049.2012.762760.
- Brantley, Jeffrey and Wendy Millstine, Five Good Minutes
, New Harbinger Publications, Inc., Oakland California, 2005.
- Brynes, Glenn and Carol Watkins. "Attention Deficit in Adults: It Rarely Travels Alone
." Attention Deficit Disorder. 2004. Northern County Psychiatric Associates. 10 July 2006.
- Cumyn, Lucy; French, Lisa; Hechtman, Lily; Comorbidity in Adults with Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
; Canadian Journal of Psychiatry; October 2009, Vol 54 Issue 10, p673
- Dowson, J. H.; Blackwell, A. D; Impulsive aggression in adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder
; Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, February 2010, Vol 121 Issue 2, p103/
- Ford-Jones P. C. (2015). Misdiagnosis of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: 'Normal behaviour' and relative maturity. Paediatrics & child health, 20(4), 200–202.
- Fuller-Thomson, Esme; Mehta, Rukshan; Valeo, Angela. Establishing a Link Between Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and Childhood Physical Abuse. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment & Trauma. Feb2014, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p188-198.
- Geffen, J., & Forster, K. (2017). Treatment of adult ADHD: A clinical perspective. Therapeutic Advances in Psychopharmacology, 8(1), 25-32. doi:10.1177/2045125317734977
- Hariprasad, V. R.; Arasappa, R.; Varambally, S.; Srinath, S.; Gangadhar, B. N. Feasibility and efficacy of yoga as an add-on intervention in attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder: An exploratory study. Indian Journal of Psychiatry. Jul2013 Supplement, Vol. 55, pS379-S384.
- Kelly, Kate and Peggy Ramundo, You Mean I’m not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy?!, Tyrell & Jerem Press, Cincinnati Ohio, 1993.
- Kelly, Kate and Peggy Ramundo, The ADHDed Dimension, Scribner, New York, 1997.
- Langer, Sylvia; Greiner, Anja; Koydemir, Selda; Schütz, Astrid. Evaluation of a Stress Management Training Program for Adults With ADHD--A Pilot Study. Journal of Cognitive Psychotherapy. 2013, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p96-110.
- Ludlow, Amanda K.; Garrood, Amy; Lawrence, Kate; Gutierrez, Roberto. Emotion Recognition From Dynamic Emotional Displays in Children With ADHD. Journal of Social & Clinical Psychology. May2014, Vol. 33 Issue 5, p413-427.
- Nadeau, Kathleen G.; Career Choices and Workplace Challenges for Individual with ADHD; Journal of Clinical Psychology; May 2005; Vol. 61 Issue 5, p549
- Quinn, Patricia O.; Treating adolescent girls and women with ADHD: Gender-Specific Issue; Journal of Clinical Psychology; May 2005, Vol. 61 Issue 5, p579
- Robbins, CA; ADHD Couple And Family Relationships; Enhancing Communication And Understanding Through Imago Relationship Therapy; Journal of Clinical Psychology; May 2005; Vol. 61 Issue 5, p565
- Sills, Judith, Excess Baggage: Getting Out of Your Own Way, Penguin Books, New York, 1993.
- Sitholey, Prabhat; Agarwal, Vivek; Sharma, Swapnil; An exploratory clinical study of adult attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder from India; Indian Journal of Medical Research, January 2009, Vol 129 Issue 1, p83
- Stevenson, Caroline et al; A cognitive remediation program for adults with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder; Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry; Oct 2002; Vol. 36 Issue 5, p.610/
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2015). Adults With Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and Substance Use Disorders. Advisory, Volume 14, Issue 3
- Wasserstein, Jeanette; Diagnostic Issues For Adolescents And Adults With ADHD; Journal of Clinical Psychology; May 2005; Vol. 61 Issue 5, p 535
- Watkins, Carol E. "AD/HD Co-Morbidity: What’s Under the Tip of the Iceberg?" Attention Deficit Disorder. 2004. Northern County Psychiatric Associates. 10 July 2006. <http://www.ncpamd.com/ADHD_Comorbidity.htm>.
- Weiss, Margaret and Candice Murray; Assessment and Management of Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Adults; CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal; March 2003; Vol. 168 Issue 6, p715
- Yewers, T.M., D.A. Hay and A. Barton; Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and severity of drug use in a sample of adult male drug users; Australian Psychologist; Jun2005; Vol. 40 Issue 2, p109