If you would like additional information on this topic,
below are OPTIONAL books to consider buying for your personal library...
Peer-Reviewed Journal Article References:
Bouchard, M.-A., Lecomte, C., Carbonneau, H., & Lalonde, F. (1987). Inferential communications of expert psychoanalytically oriented, gestalt and behaviour therapists. Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science / Revue canadienne des sciences du comportement, 19(3), 275–286.
Carsky, M., & Rand, S. N. (2018). Conflict between fantasy and reality: A patient and therapist talk about psychotherapy and schizophrenia. Psychoanalytic Psychology, 35(4), 401–409.
Cramer, P. (2020). Externalizing/projection; internalizing/identification: An examination. Psychoanalytic Psychology, 37(3), 207–211.
Crego, C., Oltmanns, J. R., & Widiger, T. A. (2020). Obtaining and losing the bipolarity of the five-factor model through factor analysis. Personality Disorders: Theory, Research, and Treatment, 11(2), 119–130.
Djikic, M., & Oatley, K. (2014). The art in fiction: From indirect communication to changes of the self. Psychology of Aesthetics, Creativity, and the Arts, 8(4), 498–505.
Elliott, R. (2014). Review of Gestalt therapy in clinical practice: From psychopathology to the aesthetics of contact [Review of the book Gestalt therapy in clinical practice: From psychopathology to the aesthetics of contact, by G. Francesetti, M. Gecele & J. Roubal, Eds.]. Psychotherapy, 51(3), 462–463.
Ferreira, F. (2020). In defense of the passive voice. American Psychologist. Advance online publication.
Furley, P., Kohlhaas, S., Englert, C., Nieuwenhuys, A., & Bertrams, A. (2019). The expression of ego depletion: Thin slices of nonverbal behavior as cues to momentary self-control capacity. Social Psychology, 50(5-6), 305–321.
Greenberg, L. S., & Webster, M. C. (1982). Resolving decisional conflict by Gestalt two-chair dialogue: Relating process to outcome. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 29(5), 468–477.
Hallis, L., Cameli, L., Dionne, F., & Knäuper, B. (2016). Combining Cognitive Therapy with Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for depression: A manualized group therapy. Journal of Psychotherapy Integration, 26(2), 186–201.
Kahn, D., & Hobson, A. (2005). Theory of Mind in Dreaming: Awareness of Feelings and Thoughts of Others in Dreams. Dreaming, 15(1), 48–57.
Klapp, S. T., & Jagacinski, R. J. (2011). Gestalt principles in the control of motor action. Psychological Bulletin, 137(3), 443–462.
Kraus, M. W. (2017). Voice-only communication enhances empathic accuracy. American Psychologist, 72(7), 644–654.
Meier, S. T. (2014). Rediscovering the role of avoidance in psychotherapy progress and outcome. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 45(3), 212–217.
Nelson, W. M., & Groman, W. D. (1978). Temporal perspective from the Gestalt therapy assumption of present-centeredness. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research & Practice, 15(3), 277–284.
Ramseyer, F., & Tschacher, W. (2011). Nonverbal synchrony in psychotherapy: Coordinated body movement reflects relationship quality and outcome. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 79(3), 284–295.
Rodomonti, M., Fedeli, F., De Luca, E., Gazzillo, F., & Bush, M. (2019). The adaptive function of fantasy: A proposal from the perspective of control-mastery theory. Psychoanalytic Psychology. Advance online publication.
Sprafkin, R. P. (1970). Communicator expertness and changes in word meanings in psychological treatment. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 17(3), 191–196.
Stemmet, L., Roger, D., Kuntz, J., & Borrill, J. (2015). General and specific avoidance: The development and concurrent validation of a new measure of avoidance coping. European Journal of Psychological Assessment, 31(3), 222–230.
Tønnesvang, J., Sommer, U., Hammink, J., & Sonne, M. (2010). Gestalt therapy and cognitive therapy—Contrasts or complementarities? Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, Practice, Training, 47(4), 586–602.
Tsai, M., Callaghan, G. M., & Kohlenberg, R. J. (2013). The use of awareness, courage, therapeutic love, and behavioral interpretation in functional analytic psychotherapy. Psychotherapy, 50(3), 366–370.
Twohig, M. P., Ong, C. W., Krafft, J., Barney, J. L., & Levin, M. E. (2019). Starting off on the right foot in acceptance and commitment therapy. Psychotherapy, 56(1), 16–20.
Vader, A. M., Walters, S. T., Prabhu, G. C., Houck, J. M., & Field, C. A. (2010). The language of motivational interviewing and feedback: Counselor language, client language, and client drinking outcomes. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 24(2), 190–197.
Wagner-Moore, L. E. (2004). Gestalt Therapy: Past, Present, Theory, and Research. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, Practice, Training, 41(2), 180–189.
White, B. A., Miles, J. R., Frantell, K. A., Muller, J. T., Paiko, L., & LeFan, J. (2019). Intergroup dialogue facilitation in psychology training: Building social justice competencies and group work skills. Journal of Diversity in Higher Education, 12(2), 180–190.
Widiger, T. A., & Crego, C. (2019). The bipolarity of normal and abnormal personality structure: Implications for assessment. Psychological Assessment, 31(4), 420–431.
Wiekens, C. J., & Stapel, D. A. (2010). Self-awareness and saliency of social versus individualistic behavioral standards. Social Psychology, 41(1), 10–19.
Williams, E. N., Hurley, K., O'Brien, K., & DeGregorio, A. (2003). Development and Validation of the Self-Awareness and Management Strategies (SAMS) Scales for Therapists. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, Practice, Training, 40(4), 278–288.
Zoubaa, S., Dure, S., & Yanos, P. T. (2020). Is there evidence for defensive projection? The impact of subclinical mental disorder and self-identification on endorsement of stigma. Stigma and Health. Advance online publication.
- Barber, Paul. Living Gestalt Moments with Anna A Spiritual Journey through Alzheimer's. Gestalt Review. 2013, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p214-228. 15p.
- Çakır, Armağan Emre; Gestalt Ontology in International Relations: The Case of European Integration; International Studies Perspectives, 2009-08, Vol. 10 Issue 3
- Cole, Peter. In the Shadow of the Leader: Power, Reflection, and Dialogue in Gestalt Group Therapy. Gestalt Review. 2013, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p178-188. 11p.
- Du Plock, Simon; Handbook for Theory, Research, and Practice in Gestalt Therapy; Existential Analysis: Journal of the Society for Existential Analysis, 2009-07, Vol. 20 Issue 2
- Fletcher, Teresa B.; Hinkle, J. Scott; Adventure Based Counseling: An Innovation in Counseling; Journal of Counseling & Development, Summer2002, Vol. 80 Issue 3
- Fischer, Susan L. The Gestalt Profession: An Open System. Gestalt Review. 2013, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p210-213. 4p.
- Jacobs, Susanne; Humour in Gestalt Therapy – Curative Force and Catalyst for Change: A Case Study; South African Journal of Psychology, 2009-12, Vol. 39 Issue 4
- Levitt, Heidi; Korman, Yifaht; Angus, Lynne; A metaphor analysis in treatments of depression: metaphor as a marker of change; Counselling Psychology Quarterly, Mar2000, Vol. 13 Issue 1
- Lowe Jr., Walter; Detriangulation of Absent Fathers in Single-Parent Black Families: Techniques of Imagery; American Journal of Family Therapy, Jan-Mar2000, Vol. 28 Issue 1
- Mills, Letty J.; Daniluk, Judith C.; Her Body Speaks: The Experience of Dance Therapy for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse; Journal of Counseling & Development, Winter2002, Vol. 80 Issue 1
- O'Leary, Eleanor; Nieuwstraten, Inge M.; The exploration of memories in Gestalt reminiscence therapy; Counselling Psychology Quarterly, Jun2001, Vol. 14 Issue 2
- Passons, William R.; Gestalt Approaches in Counseling; Holt, Rineheart and Winston, Inc.: Fort Worth; 1975
- Rhyne, Janie; The Gestalt Approach To Experience, Art, And Art Therapy; American Journal of Art Therapy; Aug2001, Vol. 40 Issue 1
- Roos, Susan. Chronic Sorrow and Ambiguous Loss: Gestalt Methods for Coping with Grief. Gestalt Review. 2013, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p229-239. 11p.
- Roubal, J., Francesetti, G., and Gecele, M. Aesthetic Diagnosis in Gestalt Therapy. Behavioral Sciences, October 2017, 7(70). p 1-13.
- Servaty-Seib, Heather L.; Connections Between Counseling Theories and Current Theories of Grief and Mourning; Journal of Mental Health Counseling, Apr2004, Vol. 26 Issue 2
- Siampani, Katerina. Incorporating Sandplay Therapy into Gestalt Therapy in the Treatment of Dementia. Gestalt Review. 2013, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p35-58. 24p. 1 Diagram.
- Silvia, Paul J.; Duval, T. Shelley; Objective Self-Awareness Theory: Recent Progress and Enduring Problems; Personality & Social Psychology Review, 2001, Vol. 5 Issue 3
- Somer, Liora; Somer, Eli; Perspectives on the Use of Glass in Therapy; American Journal of Art Therapy, Feb2000, Vol. 38 Issue 3
- Wagemas, J., Elder, J. H., Kubovy, M., Palmer, S. E., Peterson, M. A., Singh, M., and Heydt, R. V. D. A Century of Gestalt Psychology in Visual Perception I. Perceptual Grouping and Figure-Ground Organization. Psychol Bull, November 2012, 138(6). p 1172-1217.