If you would like additional information on this topic,
below are OPTIONAL books to consider buying for your personal library...
Peer-Reviewed Journal Article References:
Blackman, A. L., Jimenez-Gomez, C., & Shvarts, S. (2020). Comparison of the efficacy of online versus in-vivo behavior analytic training for parents of children with autism spectrum disorder. Behavior Analysis: Research and Practice, 20(1), 13–23.
Chlebowski, C., Magaña, S., Wright, B., & Brookman-Frazee, L. (2018). Implementing an intervention to address challenging behaviors for autism spectrum disorder in publicly-funded mental health services: Therapist and parent perceptions of delivery with Latinx families. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 24(4), 552–563.
Garbacz, S. A., McIntyre, L. L., & Santiago, R. T. (2016). Family involvement and parent–teacher relationships for students with autism spectrum disorders. School Psychology Quarterly, 31(4), 478–490.
Gliga, T., Senju, A., Pettinato, M., Charman, T., Johnson, M. H., & The BASIS Team. (2014). Spontaneous belief attribution in younger siblings of children on the autism spectrum. Developmental Psychology, 50(3), 903–913.
Hartley, S. L., Barker, E. T., Seltzer, M. M., Floyd, F., Greenberg, J., Orsmond, G., & Bolt, D. (2010). The relative risk and timing of divorce in families of children with an autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Family Psychology, 24(4), 449–457.
Hill-Yardin, E. L., & Hannan, A. J. (2013). Translating preclinical environmental enrichment studies for the treatment of autism and other brain disorders: Comment on Woo and Leon (2013). Behavioral Neuroscience, 127(4), 606–609.
Johnson, N., Frenn, M., Feetham, S., & Simpson, P. (2011). Autism spectrum disorder: Parenting stress, family functioning and health-related quality of life. Families, Systems, & Health, 29(3), 232–252.
Kasari, C., Gulsrud, A., Paparella, T., Hellemann, G., & Berry, K. (2015). Randomized comparative efficacy study of parent-mediated interventions for toddlers with autism. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 83(3), 554–563.
Lesack, R., Bearss, K., Celano, M., & Sharp, W. G. (2014). Parent–Child Interaction Therapy and autism spectrum disorder: Adaptations with a child with severe developmental delays. Clinical Practice in Pediatric Psychology, 2(1), 68–82.
Malow, B. A., MacDonald, L. L., Fawkes, D. B., Alder, M. L., & Katz, T. (2016). Teaching children with autism spectrum disorder how to sleep better: A pilot educational program for parents. Clinical Practice in Pediatric Psychology, 4(2), 125–136.
McDonald, N. M., Baker, J. K., & Messinger, D. S. (2016). Oxytocin and parent–child interaction in the development of empathy among children.
Paasch, V., Leibowitz, L., Accardo, J., & Slifer, K. (2016). Preparing children with autism spectrum disorders for overnight sleep studies: A case series. Clinical Practice in Pediatric Psychology, 4(2), 153–163.
Rispoli, K. M., Mathes, N. E., & Malcolm, A. L. (2019). Characterizing the parent role in school-based interventions for autism: A systematic literature review. School Psychology, 34(4), 444–457.
Schwichtenberg, A. J., Hensle, T., Honaker, S., Miller, M., Ozonoff, S., & Anders, T. (2016). Sibling sleep—What can it tell us about parental sleep reports in the context of autism? Clinical Practice in Pediatric Psychology, 4(2), 137–152.
Ungar, W. J., Tsiplova, K., Millar, N., & Smith, I. M. (2018). Development of the Resource Use Questionnaire (RUQ–P) for families with preschool children with neurodevelopmental disorders: Validation in children with autism spectrum disorder. Clinical Practice in Pediatric Psychology, 6(2), 164–178.
Woo, C. C., Donnelly, J. H., Steinberg-Epstein, R., & Leon, M. (2015). Environmental enrichment as a therapy for autism: A clinical trial replication and extension. Behavioral Neuroscience, 129(4), 412–422.
Woo, C. C., & Leon, M. (2013). Environmental enrichment as an effective treatment for autism: A randomized controlled trial. Behavioral Neuroscience, 127(4), 487–497.
- Boyd, Brian, Examining the relationship between stress and lack of social support in mothers of children with autism, Focus on Autism & Other Developmental Disabilities, Winter 2002, Vol. 17, Issue 4.
- Bloch, Judith S. & Joan D. Weinstein, Families of Young Children with Autism; Social Work in Mental Health, 2010, Vol. 8, Issue 1, p 23
- DiSalvo, Carla & Donald Oswald; Peer-Mediated interventions to increase the social interaction of children with autism: consideration of peer expectancies; Focus on Autism & Other Developmental Disabilities, Winter 2002, Vol. 17, Issue 4.
- Ellawadi, Allison Bean; Weismer, Susan Ellis. Assessing Gestures in Young Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of Speech, Language & Hearing Research. Apr2014, Vol. 57 Issue 2, p524-531. 8p. 3 Charts. DOI: 10.1044/2013_JSLHR-L-12-0244.
- Fein, Deborah; Barton, Marianne; Eigsti, Inge-Marie; Kelley, Elizabeth; Naigles, Letitia; Schultz, Robert T.; Stevens, Michael; Helt, Molly; Orinstein, Alyssa; Rosenthal, Michael; Troyb, Eva; Tyson, Katherine. Optimal outcome in individuals with a history of autism. Journal of Child Psychology & Psychiatry. Feb2013, Vol. 54 Issue 2, p195-205. 11p. 1 Diagram, 7 Charts. DOI: 10.1111/jcpp.12037.
- Franco, Jessica H.; Davis, Barbara L.; Davis, John L. Increasing Social Interaction Using Prelinguistic Milieu Teaching With Nonverbal School-Age Children With Autism. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology. Aug2013, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p489-502. 14p. 4 Charts, 2 Graphs. DOI: 10.1044/1058-0360(2012/10-0103).
- Greenspan, Stanley I., M.C. and Serena Wieder, Ph.D. Engaging Autism. Da Capo Press. Cambridge, MA: 2006.
- Koegel, Lynn Kern, Ph.D. and Claire LaZebnik. Overcoming Autism. Viking Penguin. New York, NY: 2004.
- Koegel, Robert, Koegel, Lynn & Erin McNerney; Pivotal areas in intervention for autism; Journal of Clinical Child Psychology; Fall 2001, Vol. 30, Issue 1.
- Masse Joshua J.; Cheryl B. McNeil; Stephanie M. Wagner; & Daniel B. Chorney. Parent-Child Interaction Therapy and High Functioning Autism: A Conceptual Overview, JEIBI, p714-735.
- Milshtein, Shahaf, Nurit Yirmiya, David oppenheim, Nina Koren-Karie, & Shlomit Levi, Resolution of the Diagnosis Among Parents of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder: Associations with Child and Parent Characteristics, Journal of Autism & Developmental Disorders, Jan. 2010, Vol. 40, Issue 1, p 89-99
- Mirenda, Pat; Autism, augmentative communication, and assistive technology: what do we really know?; Focus on Autism & Other Developmental Disabilities, Oct. 2000, Vol. 30.
- Murray, Donna S. , Lisa A. Ruble, Heather Willis, & Cynthia A. Molloy, Parent and Teacher Report of Social Skills in Children With Autism Spectrum Disorders, Language, Speech, & Hearing Services in Schools, April 2009, Vol. 40, Issue 2, p 109-115
- Nigam, Ravi; Dynamic assessment of graphic symbol combinations by children with autism; Focus on Autism & Other Developmental Disabilities, Fall 2001, Vol. 16, Issue 3.
- Reddy, Vasudevi, Williams, Emma & Amy Vaughan, Sharing humour and laughter in autism and down's syndrome, British Journal of Psychology, May 2002, Vol. 93, Issue 2.
- Rogers, SJ, Interventions that facilitate socialization in children with autism, Journal of Autism and Development Disorders, Oct 2000, Vol. 30.
- Shore, Stephen, Screening, The language of music: working with children on the autism spectrum; Journal of Education; 2002; Vol. 183; Issue 2.
- Siegel, Bryna, Ph.D. The World of the Autistic Child. Oxford University Press. Oxford, NY: 1996.
- Srinivasan, Sudha M.; Pescatello, Linda S.; Bhat, Anjana N. Current Perspectives on Physical Activity and Exercise Recommendations for Children and Adolescents With Autism Spectrum Disorders. Physical Therapy. Jun2014, Vol. 94 Issue 6, p875-889. 15p. 1 Diagram, 5 Charts. DOI: 10.2522/ptj.20130157.
- Tarakeshwar, Nalini, & Kenneth Pargament, Religious coping in families of children with autism, Focus on Autism & Other Developmental Disabilities, Winter 2001, Vol. 16, Issue 4.
- Vanderbilt Evidence-based Practice Center. (2014). Therapies for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder: Behavioral Interventions Update. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- Wacker, David; Lee, John; Padilla Dalmau, Yaniz; Kopelman, Todd; Lindgren, Scott; Kuhle, Jennifer; Pelzel, Kelly; Dyson, Shannon; Schieltz, Kelly; Waldron, Debra. Conducting Functional Communication Training via Telehealth to Reduce the Problem Behavior of Young Children with Autism. Journal of Developmental & Physical Disabilities. Feb2013, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p35-48. 14p. DOI: 10.1007/s10882-012-9314-0