If you would like additional information on this topic,
below are OPTIONAL books to consider buying for your personal library...
National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence, Inc. 18006222255
Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Treatment Referral Helpline
24 Hours English and Spanish
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1800273TALK
American Council on Alcoholism
Recovery Connection 24 Hour Hotline 8009933869
Peer-Reviewed Journal Article References:
Acuff, S. F., Soltis, K. E., Dennhardt, A. A., Borsari, B., Martens, M. P., Witkiewitz, K., & Murphy, J. G. (2019). Temporal precedence of self-regulation over depression and alcohol problems: Support for a model of self-regulatory failure. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 33(7), 603–615.
Barr, H. M., Streissguth, A. P., Darby, B. L., & Sampson, P. D. (1990). Prenatal exposure to alcohol, caffeine, tobacco, and aspirin: Effects on fine and gross motor performance in 4-year-old children. Developmental Psychology, 26(3), 339–348.
Bennett, D. S., Bendersky, M., & Lewis, M. (2008). Children's cognitive ability from 4 to 9 years old as a function of prenatal cocaine exposure, environmental risk, and maternal verbal intelligence. Developmental Psychology, 44(4), 919–928.
Cuijpers, P. (2017). Four decades of outcome research on psychotherapies for adult depression: An overview of a series of meta-analyses. Canadian Psychology/Psychologie canadienne, 58(1), 7–19.
DiBello, A. M., Carey, K. B., & Cushing, V. (2018). Using counterattitudinal advocacy to change drinking: A pilot study. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 32(2), 244–248.
Flannigan, K. R., Coons-Harding, K. D., Turner, O., Symes, B. A., Morrison, K., & Burns, C. (2020). A survey of measures used to assess brain function at FASD clinics in Canada. Canadian Psychology/Psychologie canadienne. Advance online publication.
Glass, L., Graham, D. M., Akshoomoff, N., & Mattson, S. N. (2015). Cognitive factors contributing to spelling performance in children with prenatal alcohol exposure. Neuropsychology, 29(6), 817–828.
Huizink, A. C. (2015). Prenatal maternal substance use and offspring outcomes: Overview of recent findings and possible interventions. European Psychologist, 20(2), 90–101.
Keith, D. R., Skelly, J., Tang, K. J., Kurti, A. N., & Higgins, S. T. (2021). Household-smoking bans are associated with reduced nicotine exposure, increased smoking abstinence, and improved birth outcomes among pregnant women enrolled in smoking-cessation treatment. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology, 29(4), 366–374.
Key, K. D., Ceremony, H. N., & Vaughn, A. A. (2019). Testing two models of stigma for birth mothers of a child with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Stigma and Health, 4(2), 196–203.
Liebschutz, J. M., Crooks, D., Rose-Jacobs, R., Cabral, H. J., Heeren, T. C., Gerteis, J., Appugliese, D. P., Heymann, O. D., Lange, A. V., & Frank, D. A. (2015). Prenatal substance exposure: What predicts behavioral resilience by early adolescence? Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 29(2), 329–337.
Marceau, K., Rolan, E., Leve, L. D., Ganiban, J. M., Reiss, D., Shaw, D. S., Natsuaki, M. N., Egger, H. L., & Neiderhiser, J. M. (2019). Parenting and prenatal risk as moderators of genetic influences on conduct problems during middle childhood. Developmental Psychology, 55(6), 1164–1181.
McLachlan, K., Gray, A. L., Roesch, R., Douglas, K. S., & Viljoen, J. L. (2018). An evaluation of the predictive validity of the SAVRY and YLS/CMI in justice-involved youth with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Psychological Assessment, 30(12), 1640–1651.
Millians, M. N., & Coles, C. D. (2014). Case study: Saturday cognitive habilitation program for children with prenatal alcohol exposure. Psychology & Neuroscience, 7(2), 163–173.
Moxley, D. P., & Freddolino, P. P. (1990). A model of advocacy for promoting client self-determination in psychosocial rehabilitation. Psychosocial Rehabilitation Journal, 14(2), 69–82.
Phelps, L., & Grabowski, J.-A. (1992). Fetal Alcohol Syndrome: Diagnostic features and psychoeducational risk factors. School Psychology Quarterly, 7(2), 112–128.
Spears, G. V., Stein, J. A., & Koniak-Griffin, D. (2010). Latent growth trajectories of substance use among pregnant and parenting adolescents. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 24(2), 322–332.
Streissguth, A. P. (1977). Maternal drinking and the outcome of pregnancy: Implications for child mental health. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 47(3), 422–431.
Wedding, D., Kohout, J., Mengel, M. B., Ohlemiller, M., Ulione, M., Cook, K., Rudeen, K., & Braddock, S. (2007). Psychologists' knowledge and attitudes about fetal alcohol syndrome, fetal alcohol spectrum disorders, and alcohol use during pregnancy. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 38(2), 208–213.
Young, I. F., Sullivan, D., & Hamann, H. A. (2020). Abortions due to the Zika virus versus fetal alcohol syndrome: Attributions and willingness to help. Stigma and Health, 5(3), 304–314.
- Angres, Daniel; Bologeorges, Stephanie; Chou, Jessica. A Two Year Longitudinal Outcome Study of Addicted Health Care Professionals: An Investigation of the Role of Personality Variables. Substance Abuse: Research & Treatment. 2013, Issue 7, p49-60.
- A Survival Guide to Parenting Teens: Talking to Your Kids About Sexting, Drinking, Drugs, and Other Things That Freak You Out. Publishers Weekly. 4/21/2014, Vol. 261 Issue 16, p73-73.
- Backer, Kathleen Lent, Walton-Moss, Benita; Detecting and Addressing Alcohol Abuse in Women; Nurse Practitioner; Oct2001; Vol. 26, Issue 10.
- Becker, Sara J. Adolescent substance abuse: National trends, consequences, and promising treatments. Brown University Child & Adolescent Behavior Letter. May2013, Vol. 29 Issue 5, p1-7. 3p.
- Brown, Phyllida; Drinking for two?; New Scientist; 7/1/2006; Vol. 191, Issue 2558
- Burden, Matthew J.; Andrew, Colin; Saint-Amour, Dave; Meintjes, Ernesta M.; Molteno, Christopher D.; Hoyme, H. Eugene; Robinson, Luther K.; Khaole, Nathaniel; Nelson, Charles A.; Jacobson, Joseph L.; Jacobson, Sandra W; The Effects of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome on Response Execution and Inhibition: An Event-Related Potential Study; Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research; November2009; Vol 33, Issue 11
- Chandrasena, Amali N.; Mukherjee, Raja A. S.; Turk, Jeremy; Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders: An Overview of Interventions for Affected Individuals; Child & Adolescent Mental Health; November 2009, Vol 14, Issue 4
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and Alcohol-Related Neurodevelopmental Disorders; Pediatrics; Aug2000; Vol. 106, Issue 2
- Gifford, Elizabeth V.; Tavakoli, Sara; Wang, Ruey; Hagedorn, Hildi J.; Hamlett-Berry, Kim W. Tobacco dependence diagnosis and treatment in Veterans Health Administration residential substance use disorder treatment programs. Addiction. Jun2013, Vol. 108 Issue 6, p1127-1135.
- Harpur, Lisa; FASD Teens in the Classroom: Basic Strategies; Guidance & Counseling; Fall2001; Vol. 17, Issue 1
- How to Spot Drug and Alcohol Use in Teens: Guide for Parents. Brown University Child & Adolescent Behavior Letter. May2013 Supplement, Vol. 29, p1-2.
- Hoder, Randye. Give Parents a Break: Making the Case for Supervised Teen Drinking Time.com. 10/25/2013, p1-1
- Interviewing Technique Reduces Risk for Binge Drinking, Unplanned Pregnancies; Ascribe Newswire: Health, 1/2/2007
- Lemola, Sakari; Stadlmayr, Werner; Grob, Alexander; Infant irritability: The impact of fetal alcohol exposure, maternal depressive symptoms, and low emotional support from the husband; Infant Mental Health Journal, February 2009, Vol 30 Issue 1
- McLean, Candis; The Fetal Alcohol Crisis; Report/Newsmagazine (BC Edition); 2000; Vol. 27, Issue 10.
- Motivational Intervention to Reduce Alcohol-Exposed Pregnancies --- Florida, Texas, and Virginia, 1997-2001; MMWR: Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report; 5/16/2003; Vol. 52, Issue 19
- Nutt, David. Addiction: lifestyle choice or medical diagnosis? Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice. Jun2013, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p493-496.
- O'Malley, Kieran D, Nanson, Jo; Clinical Implications of a Link Between Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder and Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder; Canadian Journal of Psychiatry; May2002, Vol. 47, Issue 4
- Prenatal Exposure to Alcohol; Alcohol Research & Health; 2000; Vol. 24, Issue 1
- Reingle Gonzalez, Jennifer M.; Connell, Nadine M.; Businelle, Michael S.; Jennings, Wesley G.; Chartier, Karen G. Characteristics of adults involved in alcohol-related intimate partner violence: results from a nationally representative sample. BMC Public Health. 2014, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p193-206.
- Russo, Francine. Is Your Teen a Night Owl? That Could Explain His Poor Grades. Time.com. 11/15/2013, p1-1.
- Ryan, Doreen Major, Bonnett, Doreen M., Gass, Callie B.; Sobering Thoughts: Town Hall Meetings on Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders; American Journal of Public Health; Dec2006; Vol. 96, Issue 12
- Smith, Julianne. Got Teens? The Doctor Moms' Guide to Sexuality, Social Media and Other Adolescent Realities. Library Journal. 5/15/2014, Vol. 139 Issue 9, p61-61.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Addressing Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD). Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series 58. HHS Publication No. (SMA) 13-4803. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2014.