If you would like additional information on this topic,
below are OPTIONAL books to consider buying for your personal library...
Peer-Reviewed Journal Article References:
Bers, S. A., Besser, A., Harpaz-Rotem, I., & Blatt, S. J. (2013). An empirical exploration of the dynamics of anorexia nervosa: Representations of self, mother, and father. Psychoanalytic Psychology, 30(2), 188–209.
Christian, C., Perko, V. L., Vanzhula, I. A., Tregarthen, J. P., Forbush, K. T., & Levinson, C. A. (2020). Eating disorder core symptoms and symptom pathways across developmental stages: A network analysis. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 129(2), 177–190.
Corning, A. F., Krumm, A. J., & Smitham, L. A. (2006). Differential social comparison processes in women with and without eating disorder symptoms. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 53(3), 338–349.
Criscuolo, M., Marchetto, C., Chianello, I., Cereser, L., Castiglioni, M. C., Salvo, P., Vicari, S., & Zanna, V. (2020). Family functioning, coparenting, and parents’ ability to manage conflict in adolescent anorexia nervosa subtypes. Families, Systems, & Health, 38(2), 151–161.
Darcy, A. M., Fitzpatrick, K. K., & Lock, J. (2016). Cognitive remediation therapy and cognitive behavioral therapy with an older adult with anorexia nervosa: A brief case report. Psychotherapy, 53(2), 232–240.
Duffy, M. E., Calzo, J. P., Lopez, E., Silverstein, S., Joiner, T. E., & Gordon, A. R. (2021). Measurement and construct validity of the Eating Disorder Examination Questionnaire Short Form in a transgender and gender diverse community sample. Psychological Assessment, 33(5), 459–463.
Engel, S. G., Wonderlich, S. A., Crosby, R. D., Mitchell, J. E., Crow, S., Peterson, C. B., Le Grange, D., Simonich, H. K., Cao, L., Lavender, J. M., & Gordon, K. H. (2013). The role of affect in the maintenance of anorexia nervosa: Evidence from a naturalistic assessment of momentary behaviors and emotion. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 122(3), 709–719.
Farber, S. K., Jackson, C. C., Tabin, J. K., & Bachar, E. (2007). Death and annihilation anxieties in anorexia nervosa, bulimia, and self-mutilation. Psychoanalytic Psychology, 24(2), 289–305.
Fischer, M. S., Baucom, D. H., Baucom, B. R., Abramowitz, J. S., Kirby, J. S., & Bulik, C. M. (2017). Disorder-specific patterns of emotion coregulation in couples: Comparing obsessive compulsive disorder and anorexia nervosa. Journal of Family Psychology, 31(3), 304–315.
Frank, J. B., & Thomas, C. D. (2003). Externalized self-perceptions, self-silencing, and the prediction of eating pathology. Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science / Revue canadienne des sciences du comportement, 35(3), 219–228.
Friedrich, W. N. (1992). Review of Unlocking the family door: A systemic approach to the understanding and treatment of anorexia nervosa [Review of the book Unlocking the family door: A systemic approach to the understanding and treatment of anorexia nervosa, by H. Stierlin & G. Weber]. Family Systems Medicine, 10(2), 243–244.
Glasofer, D. R., Albano, A. M., Simpson, H. B., & Steinglass, J. E. (2016). Overcoming fear of eating: A case study of a novel use of exposure and response prevention. Psychotherapy, 53(2), 223–231.
Goetz, P. L., Succop, R. A., Reinhart, J. B., & Miller, A. (1977). Anorexia nervosa in children: A follow-up study. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 47(4), 597–603.
Groth, T., & Hilsenroth, M. (2019). Psychotherapy techniques related to therapist alliance among adolescents with eating disorders: The utility of integration. Journal of Psychotherapy Integration. Advance online publication.
Haynos, A. F., Berg, K. C., Cao, L., Crosby, R. D., Lavender, J. M., Utzinger, L. M., Wonderlich, S. A., Engel, S. G., Mitchell, J. E., Le Grange, D., Peterson, C. B., & Crow, S. J. (2017). Trajectories of higher- and lower-order dimensions of negative and positive affect relative to restrictive eating in anorexia nervosa. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 126(5), 495–505.
Homan, K. J., & Lemmon, V. A. (2014). Attachment to God and eating disorder tendencies: The mediating role of social comparison. Psychology of Religion and Spirituality, 6(4), 349–357.
Isserlin, L., & Couturier, J. (2012). Therapeutic alliance and family-based treatment for adolescents with anorexia nervosa. Psychotherapy, 49(1), 46–51.
Jochman, K. A., Newman, S. M., Kalin, N. H., & Bakshi, V. P. (2005). Corticotropin-releasing factor-1 receptors in the basolateral amygdala mediate stress-induced anorexia. Behavioral Neuroscience, 119(6), 1448–1458.
Lejonclou, A., Nilsson, D., & Holmqvist, R. (2014). Variants of potentially traumatizing life events in eating disorder patients. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy, 6(6), 661–667.
Mallinckrodt, B., McCreary, B. A., & Robertson, A. K. (1995). Co-occurrence of eating disorders and incest: The role of attachment, family environment, and social competencies. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 42(2), 178–186.
Mander, J., Wittorf, A., Teufel, M., Schlarb, A., Hautzinger, M., Zipfel, S., & Sammet, I. (2012). Patients with depression, somatoform disorders, and eating disorders on the stages of change: Validation of a short version of the URICA. Psychotherapy, 49(4), 519–527.
Manley, R. S., & Leichner, P. (2003). Anguish and despair in adolescents with eating disorders: Helping to manage suicidal ideation and impulses. Crisis: The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention, 24(1), 32–36.
Naumann, E., Tuschen-Caffier, B., Voderholzer, U., Caffier, D., & Svaldi, J. (2015). Rumination but not distraction increases eating-related symptoms in anorexia and bulimia nervosa. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 124(2), 412–420.
Obeid, N., Carlucci, S., Brugnera, A., Compare, A., Proulx, G., Bissada, H., & Tasca, G. A. (2018). Reciprocal influence of distress and group therapeutic factors in day treatment for eating disorders: A progress and process monitoring study. Psychotherapy, 55(2), 170–178.
Pearson, C. M., Combs, J. L., Zapolski, T. C. B., & Smith, G. T. (2012). A longitudinal transactional risk model for early eating disorder onset. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 121(3), 707–718.
Pila, E., Murray, S. B., Le Grange, D., Sawyer, S. M., & Hughes, E. K. (2019). Reciprocal relations between dietary restraint and negative affect in adolescents receiving treatment for anorexia nervosa. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 128(2), 129–139.
Racine, S. E., & Wildes, J. E. (2015). Dynamic longitudinal relations between emotion regulation difficulties and anorexia nervosa symptoms over the year following intensive treatment. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 83(4), 785–795.
Raykos, B. C., Erceg-Hurn, D. M., McEvoy, P. M., Fursland, A., & Waller, G. (2018). Severe and enduring anorexia nervosa? Illness severity and duration are unrelated to outcomes from cognitive behaviour therapy. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 86(8), 702–709.
Raymond, L., Friedlander, M. L., Heatherington, L., Ellis, M. V., & Sargent, J. (1993). Communication processes in structural family therapy: Case study of an anorexic family. Journal of Family Psychology, 6(3), 308–326.
Romano, K. A., & Lipson, S. K. (2021). Weight misperception and thin-ideal overvaluation relative to the positive functioning and eating disorder pathology of transgender and nonbinary young adults. Psychology of Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity. Advance online publication.
Schwalberg, M. D., Barlow, D. H., Alger, S. A., & Howard, L. J. (1992). Comparison of bulimics, obese binge eaters, social phobics, and individuals with panic disorder on comorbidity across DSM-III—R anxiety disorders. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 101(4), 675–681.
Solomon-Krakus, S., Uliaszek, A. A., & Bagby, R. M. (2020). Evaluating the associations between personality psychopathology and heterogeneous eating disorder behaviors: A dimensional approach. Personality Disorders: Theory, Research, and Treatment, 11(4), 249–259.
Spector-Dunsky, L. (1985). Review of Les thérapies au feminin. Dépression, hystérie, phobie, anorexie [Review of the book Therapies with females: depression, hysteria, phobia, anorexia, by D. Brunet]. Canadian Psychology/Psychologie canadienne, 26(1), 73–74.
Stice, E., Telch, C. L., & Rizvi, S. L. (2000). "Development and validation of the Eating Disorder Diagnostic Scale: A brief self-report measure of anorexia, bulimia, and binge-eating disorder": Correction to Stice et al. (2000). Psychological Assessment, 12(3), 252.
Suchan, B., Vocks, S., & Waldorf, M. (2015). Alterations in activity, Vol., and connectivity of body-processing brain areas in anorexia nervosa: A review. European Psychologist, 20(1), 27–33.
Tanofsky-Kraff, M., Schvey, N. A., & Grilo, C. M. (2020). A developmental framework of binge-eating disorder based on pediatric loss of control eating. American Psychologist, 75(2), 189–203.
Taylor, M. B., Daiss, S., & Krietsch, K. (2015). Associations among self-compassion, mindful eating, eating disorder symptomatology, and body mass index in college students. Translational Issues in Psychological Science, 1(3), 229–238.
Tibon, S., & Rothschild, L. (2009). Dissociative states in eating disorders: An empirical Rorschach study. Psychoanalytic Psychology, 26(1), 69–82.
Williams-Reade, J., Freitas, C., & Lawson, L. (2014). Narrative-informed medical family therapy: Using narrative therapy practices in brief medical encounters. Families, Systems, & Health, 32(4), 416–425.
Woody, S. R., Whittal, M. L., & McLean, P. D. (2011). Mechanisms of symptom reduction in treatment for obsessions. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 79(5), 653–664.
Wong, T. K. Y., Konishi, C., & Zhao, K. (2018). Anger and anger regulation among adolescents: A consideration of sex and age differences. Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science / Revue canadienne des sciences du comportement, 50(1), 1–8.
- Abraham, Suzanne; Llewellyn-Jones, Derek; Anorexia nervosa; Eating Disorders (Oxford), 2001
- Austin SB, Ziyadeh NJ, Forman S, Prokop LA, Keliher A, Jacobs D. Screening high school students for eating disorders: results of a national initiative. Prev Chronic Dis 2008;5(4).
- Boskind-White, Marlene, Ph.D. & White, William C. Ph.D.; "Bulimia Anorexia: The Binge/Purge Cycle and Self-Starvation"; W.W. Norton & Company; New York, NY; 2000
- Claude-Pierre, Peggy; "The Secret Language of Eating Disorders"; Random House Inc; New York NY; 1997
- Crosscope-Happel, Cindy; Hutchins, David E.; Getz, Hildy G.; Hayes, Gerald L.; Male Anorexia Nervosa: A New Focus; Journal of Mental Health Counseling, Oct2000, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p365
- Crow, Scott J.; Mitchell, James E.; Roerig, James D.; Steffen, Kristine; What potential role is there for medication treatment in anorexia nervosa?; International Journal of Eating Disorders, 2009-01, Vol. 42 Issue 1, p.1
- Crow, Scott. Professionals' Knowledge of and Attitudes about Eating Disorders Patients. Eating Disorders Review. Jan/Feb2014, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p2-5. 4p.
- Draper, Heather; Anorexia Nervosa And Respecting A Refusal Of Life-Prolonging Therapy: A Limited Justification; Bioethics, Apr2000, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p120
- Erford, Bradley T.; Richards, Taryn; Peacock, Elizabeth; Voith, Karen; McGair, Heather; Muller, Brooke; Duncan, Kelly; Chang, Catherine Y. Counseling and Guided Self-Help Outcomes for Clients With Bulimia Nervosa: A Meta-Analysis of Clinical Trials From 1980 to 2010. Journal of Counseling & Development. Apr2013, Vol. 91 Issue 2, p152-172. 21p. 1 Diagram, 5 Charts. DOI: 10.1002/j.1556-6676.2013.00083.x.
- Fox, John R. E.; Power, Michael J. Eating disorders and multi-level modes of emotion: An integrated model. Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy. Aug2009, Vol. 16, Issue 4
- Geist, Rose; Heinmaa, Margus; Stephens, Derek; Davis, Ron; Katzman, Debra K; Comparison of Family Therapy and Family Group Psychoeducation in Adolescents With Anorexia Nervosa; Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, Mar2000, Vol. 45 Issue 2, p173
- Ghizzani, Anna; Montomoli, Marcello; Anorexia Nervosa and Sexuality in Women: A Review; Journal of Sex Education & Therapy, 2000, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p80
- Giles, M. and Hass, M. Fostering a Healthy Body Image: Prevention and Intervention with Adolescent Eating Disorders. Chapman Unidersity.
- Harshbarger, Jenni L.; Ahlers-Schmidt, Carolyn R.; Mayans, Laura; Mayans, David; Hawkins, Joseph H.; Pro-anorexia Websites: What a Clinician Should Know; International Journal of Eating Disorders, 2009-05, Vol. 42 Issue 4, p.367
- Hilbert, Anja. Cognitive-behavioral therapy for binge eating disorder in adolescents: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2013, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p1-11. 11p. DOI: 10.1186/1745-6215-14-312.
- Kaplan, Allan S; Psychological Treatments for Anorexia Nervosa A Review of Published Studies and Promising New Directions; Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, Apr2002, Vol. 47 Issue 3, p235
- Levenkron, Steven; "Anatomy of Anorexia"; W. W. Norton & Company; New York, NY; 2000
- Lock, Andrew & Epston, David & Maisel, Richard; "Countering that which is Called Anorexia"; Narrative Inquiry 14(2), 275–301
- Maladaptive Disorders. Eating Disorders.
- National Institute of Mental Health. Eating Disorders: About More Than Food. 2014. Pg. 1-6.
- NSW Ministry of Health. NSW Service Plan for People with Eating Disorders. September 2013. Pg. 7-30.
- Office on Women's Health. (2016). Anorexia Nervosa. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Podar, Iris; Allik, Juri. A cross-cultural comparison of the eating disorder inventory. International Journal of Eating Disorders. May2009, Vol. 42, Issue 4.
- Puhl, Rebecca M.; Neumark-Sztainer, Dianne; Austin, S. Bryn; Luedicke, Joerg; King, Kelly M. Setting policy priorities to address eating disorders and weight stigma: views from the field of eating disorders and the US general public. BMC Public Health. 2014, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p1310-1328. 19p. DOI: 10.1186/1471-2458-14-524.
- Rothschild-Yakar, Lily; Lacoua, Liza; Stein, Daniel. Changes in Patient Measures as Predictors of Therapists’ Ratings of Treatment Collaboration and Change in Eating Disorder Subgroups. Assessment. Dec2013, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p752-763. 12p. DOI: 10.1177/1073191111415366.
- Rusca, Roberto; An Existentialist Approach to Anorexia Nervosa; American Journal of Psychotherapy, 2003, Vol. 57 Issue 4, p491
- SAMHAS. (2011). Clients with Substance Use and Eating Disorders. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Sandbek, Terence J. Ph.D.; "The Deadly Diet: Recovering from Anorexia and Bulimia"; New Harbinger Publications, Inc.; Oakland, CA; 1993
- Santonastaso, Paolo; Bosello, Romina; Schiavone, Paolo; Tenconi, Elena; Degortes, Daniela; Favaro, Angela; Typical and Atypical Restrictive Anorexia Nervosa: Weight History, Body Image, Psychiatric Symptoms, and Response to Outpatient Treatment, 2009-07, Vol. 42 Issue 5, p.464
- The Eating Disorders Coalition for Research, Policy, & Action. (2002). Testimony of the Eating Disordrs Coalition for Research, Policy, & Action.
- Wechselblatt, Tracy; Gurnick, Gregory; Simon, Ruth; Autonomy and relatedness in the development of anorexia nervosa: A clinical case series; Bulletin of the Menninger Clinic, Winter2000, Vol. 64 Issue 1, p91