If you would like additional information on this topic,
below are OPTIONAL books to consider buying for your personal library...
Peer-Reviewed Journal Article References:
Abbass, A. (2017). Review of Transference focused psychotherapy for borderline personality disorder: A clinical guide [Review of the book Transference focused psychotherapy for borderline personality disorder: A clinical guide, by F. E. Yeomans, J. F. Clarkin & O. F. Kernberg]. Psychoanalytic Psychology, 34(1), 131–133.
Bernecker, S. L. (2014). Helping clients help themselves: Managing ethical concerns when offering guided self-help interventions in psychotherapy practice. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 45(2), 111–119.
Blasini-Méndez, M. (2019). Interpersonal postcolonial supervision: Facilitating conversations of countertransference. Training and Education in Professional Psychology, 13(3), 233–237.
Bonnie, R. J., & Monahan, J. (2005). From coercion to contract: Reframing the debate on mandated community treatment for people with mental disorders. Law and Human Behavior, 29(4), 485–503.
Brand, B. L., Myrick, A. C., Loewenstein, R. J., Classen, C. C., Lanius, R., McNary, S. W., Pain, C., & Putnam, F. W. (2012). A survey of practices and recommended treatment interventions among expert therapists treating patients with dissociative identity disorder and dissociative disorder not otherwise specified. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy, 4(5), 490–500.
Brand, B. L., Webermann, A. R., Snyder, B. L., & Kaliush, P. R. (2019). Detecting clinical and simulated dissociative identity disorder with the Test of Memory Malingering. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy, 11(5), 513–520.
Carpenter, R. W., & Trull, T. J. (2015). The pain paradox: Borderline personality disorder features, self-harm history, and the experience of pain. Personality Disorders: Theory, Research, and Treatment, 6(2), 141–151.
Carsky, M. (2020). How treatment arrangements enhance transference analysis in transference-focused psychotherapy. Psychoanalytic Psychology. Advance online publication.
Cavicchioli, M., & Maffei, C. (2020). Rejection sensitivity in borderline personality disorder and the cognitive–affective personality system: A meta-analytic review. Personality Disorders: Theory, Research, and Treatment, 11(1), 1–12.
Ducharme, E. L. (2017). Best practices in working with complex trauma and dissociative identity disorder. Practice Innovations, 2(3), 150–161.
Frederickx, S., & Hofmans, J. (2014). The role of personality in the initiation of communication situations. Journal of Individual Differences, 35(1), 30–37.
Gazzillo, F., Dazzi, N., Kealy, D., & Cuomo, R. (2020). Personalizing psychotherapy for personality disorders: Perspectives from control-mastery theory. Psychoanalytic Psychology. Advance online publication.
Homan, K. J., Sim, L. A., Fargo, J. D., & Twohig, M. P. (2017). Five-year prospective investigation of self-harm/suicide-related behaviors in the development of borderline personality disorder. Personality Disorders: Theory, Research, and Treatment, 8(2), 183–188.
Houben, M., Bohus, M., Santangelo, P. S., Ebner-Priemer, U., Trull, T. J., & Kuppens, P. (2016). The specificity of emotional switching in borderline personality disorder in comparison to other clinical groups. Personality Disorders: Theory, Research, and Treatment, 7(2), 198–204.
Herman, J. L. (2012). Review of Special issue: Guidelines for treating dissociative identity disorder in adults (3rd revision); Rebuilding shattered lives: Treating complex PTSD and dissociative disorders; and Understanding and treating dissociative identity disorder: A relational approach [Review of the books Special issue: Guidelines for treating dissociative identity disorder in adults (3rd revision), , Rebuilding shattered lives: Treating complex ptsd and dissociative disorders, , & Understanding and treating dissociative identity disorder: A relational approach, by International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation, J. Chu & E. Howell]. Psychoanalytic Psychology, 29(2), 267–269.
Huntjens, R. J. C., Wessel, I., Hermans, D., & van Minnen, A. (2014). Autobiographical memory specificity in dissociative identity disorder. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 123(2), 419–428.
Lentz, J. S. (2016). Reconsidering resistance. Psychoanalytic Psychology, 33(4), 599–609.
MacIntosh, H. B. (2015). Titration of technique: Clinical exploration of the integration of trauma model and relational psychoanalytic approaches to the treatment of dissociative identity disorder. Psychoanalytic Psychology, 32(3), 517–538.
Marsh, R. J., Dorahy, M. J., Verschuere, B., Butler, C., Middleton, W., & Huntjens, R. J. C. (2018). Transfer of episodic self-referential memory across amnesic identities in dissociative identity disorder using the Autobiographical Implicit Association Test. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 127(8), 751–757.
Matz, S. C., & Harari, G. M. (2020). Personality–place transactions: Mapping the relationships between Big Five personality traits, states, and daily places. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. Advance online publication.
Niedtfeld, I., Renkewitz, F., Mädebach, A., Hillmann, K., Kleindienst, N., Schmahl, C., & Schulze, L. (2020). Enhanced memory for negative social information in borderline personality disorder. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 129(5), 480–491.
Oltmanns, J. R., & Widiger, T. A. (2019). Evaluating the assessment of the ICD-11 personality disorder diagnostic system. Psychological Assessment, 31(5), 674–684.
Pica, M. (1999). The evolution of alter personality states in dissociative identity disorder. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, Practice, Training, 36(4), 404–415.
Rauwers, F., Voorveld, H. A. M., & Neijens, P. C. (2020). Explaining perceived interactivity effects on attitudinal responses: A field experiment on the impact of external and internal communication features in digital magazines. Journal of Media Psychology: Theories, Methods, and Applications, 32(3), 130–142.
Rees, C. S., & Pritchard, R. (2015). Brief cognitive therapy for avoidant personality disorder. Psychotherapy, 52(1), 45–55.
Schueller, S. M., & Parks, A. C. (2014). The science of self-help: Translating positive psychology research into increased individual happiness. European Psychologist, 19(2), 145–155.
Thorne, A. (1987). The press of personality: A study of conversations between introverts and extraverts. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 53(4), 718–726.
Westra, H. A., Aviram, A., Connors, L., Kertes, A., & Ahmed, M. (2012). Therapist emotional reactions and client resistance in cognitive behavioral therapy. Psychotherapy, 49(2), 163–172.
Woods, S. A., & Anderson, N. R. (2016). Toward a periodic table of personality: Mapping personality scales between the five-factor model and the circumplex model. Journal of Applied Psychology, 101(4), 582–604.
Yeomans, F. E., Delaney, J. C., & Levy, K. N. (2017). Behavioral activation in TFP: The role of the treatment contract in transference-focused psychotherapy. Psychotherapy, 54(3), 260–266.
- Brand, Bethany L.; Loewenstein, Richard J.; Spiegel, David. Dispelling Myths About Dissociative Identity Disorder Treatment: An Empirically Based Approach. Psychiatry: Interpersonal & Biological Processes. Jun2014, Vol. 77 Issue 2, p169-189. 21p. DOI: 10.1521/psyc.2014.77.2.169.
- Brand, B. L., Sar, V., Stavropoulos, P., Krüger, C., Korzekwa, M., Martínez-Taboas, A., & Middleton, W. (2016). Separating Fact from Fiction: An Empirical Examination of Six Myths About Dissociative Identity Disorder. Harvard review of psychiatry, 24(4), 257–270. doi:10.1097/HRP.0000000000000100
- Carlson, E. B., McDade-Montez, E., & Dalenberg, C. (2012). Dissociation in Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Part I: Definitions and Review of Research. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy, 4(5), 479-489. Retrieved May 9, 2019, from https://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/articles/article-pdf/id39378.pdf.
- Dennis L.; A Phenomenological Model For Therapeutic Exorcism For Dissociative Identity Disorder; Journal of Psychology & Theology; Summer2001; Vol. 29 Issue 2
- Fine, Catherine G.; The Tactical-integration Model for the Treatment of Dissociative Identity Disorder; American Journal of Psychotherapy; Summer 1999; Vol. 53 Issue 3
- Fox, Jesse; Bell, Hope; Jacobson, Lamerial; Hundley, Gulnora. Recovering Identity: A Qualitative Investigation of a Survivor of Dissociative Identity Disorder. Journal of Mental Health Counseling. Oct2013, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p324-341. 18p. 1 Chart.
- Gillig P. M. (2009). Dissociative identity disorder: a controversial diagnosis. Psychiatry (Edgmont (Pa. : Township)), 6(3), 24–29.
- Kluft, Richard P.; An Overview of the Psychotherapy of Dissociative Identity Disorder; American Journal of Psychotherapy; Summer 1999; Vol. 53 Issue 3
- Korzekwa, Marilyn I., Dell, Paul F., Links, Paul S., Thabane, Lehana, Fougere, Philip; Dissociation in Borderline Personality Disorder: A Detailed Look; Journal of Trauma & Dissociation; 2009-09; Volume 10 Issue 3
- Middleton, Warwick; Owning the past, claiming the present: perspectives on the treatment of dissociative patients; Australian Psychiatry; March 2005; Vol. 13 No. 1
- Pais, Shobha; A Systemic Approach to the Treatment of Dissociative Identity Disorder; Journal of Family Psychotherapy; 2009-03; Vol. 20 Issue 1
- Phelps, Brady J; Dissociative Identity Disorder: The Relevance Of Behavior Analysis; Psychological Record; Spring 2000; Vol. 50 Issue 2
- Putnam, Frank W.: "Diagnosis & Treatment of Multiple Personality Disorder." The Guilford Press. New York, NY. 1989.
- Ross, Colin A.; Ferrell, Lynn; Schroeder, Elizabeth. Co-Occurrence of Dissociative Identity Disorder and Borderline Personality Disorder. Journal of Trauma & Dissociation. Jan/Feb2014, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p79-90. 12p. DOI: 10.1080/15299732.2013.834861.
- Şar, V., Dorahy, M. J., & Krüger, C. (2017). Revisiting the etiological aspects of dissociative identity disorder: a biopsychosocial perspective. Psychology research and behavior management, 10, 137–146. doi:10.2147/PRBM.S113743.
- Schiavone, F., Frewen, P., PhD, & McKinnon, M., PhD. (2018). The Dissociative Subtype of PTSD: An Update of the Literature. PTSD Research Quarterl, 29(3), 1-11. Retrieved May 9, 2019, from https://www.ptsd.va.gov/publications/rq_docs/V29N3.pdf.
- Slack, Cath. Dissociative Identity Disorder: Improving Treatment Outcomes. Healthcare Counselling & Psychotherapy Journal. Jan2014, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p43-45. 3p
- Steinberg, Marlene; Advances in the clinical assessment of dissociation: The SCID-D-R.; Bulletin of the Menninger Clinic; Spring2000; Vol. 64 Issue 2
- Stern, Robert; McDonald, Michael. Diagnosing Dissociation. Skeptic. 2013, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p40-43. 4p.
- Sutton, Jan; Understanding dissociation and its relationship to self-injury and childhood trauma; Counseling & Psychotherapy Journal; April 2004; Vol. 15 Issue 3.
- Weber, Scott; Treatment of Trauma- and Abuse-Related Dissociative Symptom Disorders in Children and Adolescents; Journal of Child & Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing; 2009-02; Vol 22 Issue 1
- Williamson, Erin; Nicole M. Dutch; and Heather J. Clawson. Evidence-Based Mental Health Treatment for Victims of Human Trafficking. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation, 2008, p1-13.