If you would like additional information on this topic,
below are OPTIONAL books to consider buying for your personal library...
Peer-Reviewed Journal Article References:
Ahmed, S., de Jager, C. A., Haigh, A.-M., & Garrard, P. (2013). Semantic processing in connected speech at a uniformly early stage of autopsy-confirmed Alzheimer's disease. Neuropsychology, 27(1), 79–85.
Breslin, C. W., & Safer, M. A. (2013). Aging and long-term memory for emotionally valenced events. Psychology and Aging, 28(2), 346–351.
Charlton, R. A., Barrick, T. R., Markus, H. S., & Morris, R. G. (2013). Verbal working and long-term episodic memory associations with white matter microstructure in normal aging investigated using tract-based spatial statistics. Psychology and Aging, 28(3), 768–777.
Danckert, S. L., & Craik, F. I. M. (2013). Does aging affect recall more than recognition memory? Psychology and Aging, 28(4), 902–909.
Duchek, J. M., Balota, D. A., & Ferraro, F. R. (1994). Component analysis of a rhythmic finger tapping task in individuals with senile dementia of the Alzheimer type and in individuals with Parkinson's disease. Neuropsychology, 8(2), 218–226.
Fleiner, T., Trost, A., Depiereux, R., Zijlstra, W., & Häussermann, P. (2015). Geriatric psychiatry in motion—Bringing physical exercise to geriatric psychiatry: A multi- and interdisciplinary program to promote physical activity among elderly psychiatric patients. GeroPsych: The Journal of Gerontopsychology and Geriatric Psychiatry, 28(4), 173–181.
Gold, D., Rosowsky, E., Piryatinsky, I., & Sinclair, S. J. (2020). Comparing patient and informant ratings of depressive symptoms in various stages of Alzheimer’s disease. Neuropsychology, 34(5), 535–550.
Greenwald, A. G., & Banaji, M. R. (2017). The implicit revolution: Reconceiving the relation between conscious and unconscious. American Psychologist, 72(9), 861–871.
Guez, J., & Lev, D. (2016). A picture is worth a thousand words? Not when it comes to associative memory of older adults. Psychology and Aging, 31(1), 37–41.
Gyurkovics, M., Balota, D. A., & Jackson, J. D. (2018). Mind-wandering in healthy aging and early stage Alzheimer’s disease. Neuropsychology, 32(1), 89–101.
Kuemmel, A., Haberstroh, J., & Pantel, J. (2014). CODEM instrument: Developing a tool to assess communication behavior in dementia. GeroPsych: The Journal of Gerontopsychology and Geriatric Psychiatry, 27(1), 23–31.
MacDuffie, K. E., Atkins, A. S., Flegal, K. E., Clark, C. M., & Reuter-Lorenz, P. A. (2012). Memory distortion in Alzheimer's disease: Deficient monitoring of short- and long-term memory. Neuropsychology, 26(4), 509–516.
Macé, A.-L., Ergis, A.-M., & Caza, N. (2012). The effect of response modality on immediate serial recall in dementia of the Alzheimer type. Neuropsychology, 26(5), 613–623.
Maxfield, M., Cui, R., Roberts, J. R., & Fiske, A. (2020). Interest in dementia testing: Family history, dementia-related anxiety, and coping. GeroPsych: The Journal of Gerontopsychology and Geriatric Psychiatry. Advance online publication.
McGee, J. S. (2019). Illuminating Alzheimer’s disease. Families, Systems, & Health, 37(3), 273.
Newell, K. M., Mayer-Kress, G., & Liu, Y.-T. (2009). Aging, time scales, and sensorimotor variability. Psychology and Aging, 24(4), 809–818.
Peters-Founshtein, G., Peer, M., Rein, Y., Kahana Merhavi, S., Meiner, Z., & Arzy, S. (2018). Mental-orientation: A new approach to assessing patients across the Alzheimer’s disease spectrum. Neuropsychology, 32(6), 690–699.
Schall, A., Haberstroh, J., & Pantel, J. (2015). Time series analysis of individual music therapy in dementia: Effects on communication behavior and emotional well-being. GeroPsych: The Journal of Gerontopsychology and Geriatric Psychiatry, 28(3), 113–122.
Singh, M. (2019). Dementia—They say. Families, Systems, & Health, 37(3), 267–269.
Thomas, A. K., Lee, M., & Balota, D. A. (2013). Metacognitive monitoring and dementia: How intrinsic and extrinsic cues influence judgments of learning in people with early-stage Alzheimer’s disease. Neuropsychology, 27(4), 452–463.
Thurm, F., Scharpf, A., Liebermann, N., Kolassa, S., Elbert, T., Lüchtenberg, D., Woll, A., & Kolassa, I.-T. (2011). Improvement of cognitive function after physical movement training in institutionalized very frail older adults with dementia. GeroPsych: The Journal of Gerontopsychology and Geriatric Psychiatry, 24(4), 197–208.
Tse, C.-S., Balota, D. A., Yap, M. J., Duchek, J. M., & McCabe, D. P. (2010). Effects of healthy aging and early stage dementia of the Alzheimer's type on components of response time distributions in three attention tasks. Neuropsychology, 24(3), 300–315.
Weih, M., Degirmenci, Ü., Kreil, S., & Kornhuber, J. (2010). Physical activity and Alzheimer’s disease: A meta-analysis of cohort studies. GeroPsych: The Journal of Gerontopsychology and Geriatric Psychiatry, 23(1), 17–20.
Wilson, B. A., Dhamapurkar, S., & Rose, A. (2016). Assessment and treatment of people with a disorder of consciousness: An account of some recent studies. Psychology & Neuroscience, 9(2), 221–229.
- Alzheimer’s Association. 2018 Alzheimer’s Disease Facts and Figures. Alzheimers Dement 2018;14(3):367-429.
- Banerjee, Sube; Samsi, Kritika; Petrie, Charles D.; Alvir, Jose; Treglia, Michael; Schwam, Ellias M.; Del Valle, Megan; What do we know about quality of life in dementia? A review of the merging evidence on the predictive and explanatory value of disease specific measures of health related quality of life in people with dementia; International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry; Jan. 2009; Vol. 24; Issue 1
- Dementia Action Collaborative. (2018). Dementia Road Map: A Guide for Family and Care Partners. Washington State Department of Social and Health Services.
- Dementia Action Collaborative. (2016). Safety Concerns for People with Dementia. U.S. Administration for Community Living, Administratin on Aging.
- Douthit, Kathryn ; The Convergence of Counseling and Psychiatric Genetics: An Essential Role for Counselors; Journal of Counseling & Development, Winter 2006, Vol. 84, Issue1.
- Filley, Christopher M..; Alzheimer’s Disease: It’s Irreversible But Not Untreatable; Geriatrics; Jul. 1995; Vol. 50, Issue 7.
- Gintner, Gary G.; Differential Diagnosis in Older Adults: Dementia, Depression, and Delirium; Journal of Counseling & Development; Jan/Feb 1995, Vol. 73, Issue 3.
- Heller, Kenneth; Prevention Activities for Older Adults: Social Structures and Personal Competencies that Maintain Useful Social Roles; Journal of Counseling & Development; Nov/Dec 1993, Vol. 72, Issue 2.
- Hopper, Tammy; Bourgeois, Michelle; Pimentel, Jane; Qualls, Constance Dean; Hickey, Ellen; Frymark, Tobi; Schooling, Tracy. An Evidence-Based Systematic Review on Cognitive Interventions for Individuals With Dementia. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology. Feb2013, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p126-145. 20p. 3 Charts. DOI: 10.1044/1058-0360(2012/11-0137).
- Kydd, Angela; Touhy, Theris; Newman, David; Fagerberg, Ingegerd; Engstrom, Gabriella. Attitudes towards caring for older people in Scotland, Sweden and the United States. Nursing Older People. Mar2014, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p33-40. 8p.
- Leifer; Bennett P.; Alzheimer’s Disease: Seeing the Signs Early; Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners; Nov. 2009; Vol. 21; Issue 11; p 588-597
- Malone, Daniel C.; McLaughlin, Trent P.; Wahl, Peter M.; Leibman, Christopher; Arrighi, H. Michael; Cziraky, Mark J.; Mucha, Lisa M; Burden of Alzheimer’s Disease and Association with Negative Health Outcomes; American Journal of Managed Care; August 2009; Vol. 15; Issue 8; p 481-487
- Min, Lillian; Wenger, Neil; Walling, Anne M.; Blaum, Caroline; Cigolle, Christine; Ganz, David A.; Reuben, David; Shekelle, Paul; Roth, Carol; Kerr, Eve A. When Comorbidity, Aging, and Complexity of Primary Care Meet: Development and Validation of the Geriatric CompleXity of Care Index. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. Apr2013, Vol. 61 Issue 4, p542-550. 9p. 1 Diagram, 3 Charts. DOI: 10.1111/jgs.12160.
- Myers, Jane & Melanie Harper.; Evidence-Based Effective Practices With Older Adults; Journal of Counseling & Development, Spring 2004, Vol. 82, Issue 2.
- Pocnet, Cornelia; Rossier, Jérôme; Antonietti, Jean-Philippe; Gunten, Armin. Personality traits and behavioral and psychological symptoms in patients at an early stage of Alzheimer's disease. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. Mar2013, Vol. 28 Issue 3, p276-283. 8p. 2 Charts, 2 Graphs. DOI: 10.1002/gps.3822.
- Quinn, Catherine; Anderson, Daniel; Toms, Gill; Whitaker, Rhiannon; Edwards, Rhiannon Tudor; Jones, Carys; Clare, Linda. Self-management in early-stage dementia: a pilot randomised controlled trial of the efficacy and cost-effectiveness of a self-management group intervention (The SMART study). Trials. 2014, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p1-18. 18p. 1 Chart. DOI: 10.1186/1745-6215-15-74.
- Schwiebert, Valerie, Myers, Jane, & Carol Dice; Ethical Guidelines for Counselors Working with Older Adults; Journal of Counseling & Development, Spring 2000, Vol. 78, Issue 2.
- Tilly, J., Wiener, J. M., and Gould, E. (2014). Dementia-capable States and Communities: the Basics. U.S. Administration for Community Living/Administration on Aging, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Tuokko, H., & P. Maccourt; Home Alone with Dementia; Aging & Mental Health; Feb 1999, Vol. 3, Issue 1.
- Welfel, Elizabeth, Danzinger, Paula, & Sheila Santoro; Mandated Reporting of Abuse/Maltreatment of Older Adults: A Primer for Counselors; Journal of Counseling & Development; Summer 2000; Vol. 78, Issue 3.
- Werth, J., Gordon, J., & R. Johnson; Psychosocial Issues Near the End of Life; Aging & Mental Health; Nov. 2002, Vol. 6, Issue 4.
- Zarit, S. & S.A. Leitsch; Developing and Evaluating Community Based Intervention Programs for Alzheimer’s Patients and their Caregivers; Aging & Mental Health; May 2001; Vol. 5, Issue 2.