If you would like additional information on this topic,
below are OPTIONAL books to consider buying for your personal library...
- Abramson, M. Reflections on Knowing Oneself Ethically: Toward a Working Framework for Social Work Practice. Families in Society, 1996a, 77(4), 195-202.
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, Code of Ethics http://www.aamft.org/iMIS15/AAMFT/Content/Legal_Ethics/Code_of_Ethics.aspx
- American Counseling Association’s Code of Ethics http://www.counseling.org/docs/ethics/2014-aca-code-of-ethics.pdf?sfvrsn=4
- American Psychological Association's (APA) Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct http://www.apa.org/ethics/code/
- Barker, Robert L. Milestones in the Development of Social Work and Social Welfare. Washington, DC NASW Press, 1998. Rankin, Mary, JD employed by the Healthcare Training Institute to research and write the article Evolution of Social Work Ethics. Edited by Tracy Appleton, LCSW. Reference Barker, Robert L. Milestones in the Development of Social Work and Social Welfare. Washington, DC NASW Press, 1998.
- Bemecker, Samantha L. Helping Clients Help Themselves: Managing Ethical Concerns When Offering Guided Self-Help Interventions in Psychotherapy Practice. Professional Psychology: Research & Practice. Apr2014, Vol. 45 Issue 2, p111-119.
- Burton, Stephen; Furr, Susan. Conflict in Multicultural Classes: Approaches to Resolving Difficult Dialogues. Counselor Education & Supervision. Jun2014, Vol. 53 Issue 2, p97-110.
- Chao, Ruth Chu-Lien. Race/Ethnicity and Multicultural Competence Among School Counselors: Multicultural Training, Racial/Ethnic Identity, and Color-Blind Racial Attitudes. Journal of Counseling & Development. Apr2013, Vol. 91 Issue 2, p140-151.
- Cottone, Rocco, & Ronald Claus. Ethical Decision-Making Models: A Review of the Literature. Journal of Counseling & Development; Summer 2000, Vol. 78, Issue 3.
-Durant, Alan. and Ifan Shepherd. 'Culture' and 'Communication' in Intercultural Communication. European Journal of English Studies; 2009-08; Vol. 13, Issue 2.
- Gilbert C. Gee, PhD, Katrina M. Walsemann, PhD, MPH, and Elizabeth Brondolo, PhD. A Life Course Perspective on How Racism May Be Related to Health Inequities. THE SCIENCE OF RESEARCH ON RACIAL/ETHNIC DISCRIMINATION AND HEALTH; American Journal of Public Health|May 2012, Vol 102, No. 5; p1-8.
- Haigh, Martin. Fostering Cross-Cultural Empathy With Non-Western Curricular Structures. Journal of Studies in International Education; 2009-06; Vol. 13, Issue 2.
- Hall, E.T. Beyond Culture. New York: Anchor Press/Doubleday, 1976.
- Hanna, Fred J.; Cardona, Betty. Multicultural Counseling Beyond the Relationship: Expanding the Repertoire With Techniques. Journal of Counseling & Development. Jul2013, Vol. 91 Issue 3, p349-357.
- Harley, Debra et al. Race, Class, and Gender: A Constellation of Positionalities with Implications for Counseling. Journal of Multicultural Counseling & Development; Oct. 2002; Vol. 30.
- Henderson, Kathryn L. Mandated Reporting of Child Abuse: Considerations and Guidelines for Mental Health Counselors. Journal of Mental Health Counseling. Oct2013, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p296-309.
- Johnson, Jennifer M.; Lambie, Glenn W. Ethnic Identity and Social-Cognitive Maturity in a Multicultural Group Experience. Counselor Education & Supervision. Sep2013, Vol. 52 Issue 3, p193-206.
- Kagnici, Dilek Yelda. Reflections of a Multicultural Counseling Course: A Qualitative Study with Counseling Students and Counselors. Educational Sciences: Theory & Practice. 2014, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p53-62.
- Kangas, Julie L.; Calvert, James D. Ethical Issues in Mental Health Background Checks for Firearm Ownership. Professional Psychology: Research & Practice. Feb2014, Vol. 45 Issue 1, p76-83.
- Kerl, Stella B. Using Narrative Approaches to Teach Multicultural Counseling. Journal of Multicultural Counseling & Development; April 2002, Vol. 30.
- Kocet, Michael M. Ethical Challenges in a Complex World: Highlights of the 2005 ACA Code of Ethics. Journal of Counseling & Development; Spring 2006; Vol. 84, Issue 2.
- Loewenberg, F. M., & Dolgoff, R. & Harrington, D. Ethical Decisions for Social Work Practice. Itasca, Illinois: F.E. Peacock., 2000
- Moe, Cathrine; Kvig, Erling I; Brinchmann, Beate; Brinchmann, Berit S. 'Working Behind the Scenes’: An Ethical View of Mental Health Nursing and First-Episode Psychosis. Nursing Ethics. Aug2013, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p517-527.
- National Association of Social Workers, Code of Ethics http://www.naswdc.org/pubs/code/code.asp
- National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Code of Ethics http://www.nbcc.org/assets/ethics/nbcc-codeofethics.pdf
- Pwono, Damien M. Fostering a Cultural Diplomacy Policy Dialogue: The Quest for Stewardship and Cooperative Engagement. Journal of Arts Management Law & Society; 2010-01; Vol. 39, Issue 4.
- Reamer, F. G. The Social Work Ethics Audit: A Risk-Management Strategy. Social Work, 2000, 45(4), 355-366.
- Reamer, Frederic G. Social Work Ethics Casebook: Cases and Commentary. Washington, DC: NASW Press, 2009
- Reamer, Frederic G. Social Work Malpractice and Liability: Strategies for Prevention. 2nd ed. (New York: Columbia University Press, 2003)
- Reamer, Frederic G. Social Work Values and Ethics. 3rd ed. (New York: Columbia University Press, 2006)
- Reamer, Frederic G. Ethical Standards in Social Work: A Review of the NASW Code of Ethics. 2nd ed. (Washington, DC: NASW Press, 2006)
- Reamer, Frederic G. The Social Work Ethics Audit: A Risk-management Tool. (Washington, DC: NASW Press, 2001)
- Reamer, Frederic G. Tangled Relationships: Managing Boundaries in the Human Services. (New York: Columbia University Press, 2001)
- Reamer, Frederic G. Ethics Education in Social Work. (Alexandria, VA: Council on Social Work Education, 2001)
- Rothstein, Mark A. Tarasoff Duties after Newtown. Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics. Spring2014, Vol. 42 Issue 1, p104-109.
- Sciarra, Daniel T. Multiculturalism in Counseling. F.E. Peacock Publishers, Inc. Itasca: 1999.
- Simpkins, G., Williams, R.L., & Gunnings, T. What a Culture a Difference Makes: A Rejoinder of Valentine. Harvard Educational Review, 1971, 41, 4, 525-541.
- Sue, Derald Wing. Counseling the Culturally Different: Theory and Practice. John Wiley & Sons. New York. 1981.
- The CDM Group, Inc ., under the Knowledge Application Program (KAP) contract numbers 270-99-7072, 270-04-7049, and 270-09-0307 with the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). Andrea Kopstein, Ph.D., M.P.H., Karl D. White, Ed.D., and Christina Currier served as the Contracting Officer’s Representatives.; HHS Publication No. (SMA) 14-4849 First Printed 2014, p1-340
- The Lewin Group, Inc; Karen W. Linkins, Ph.D.Sharrie McIntosh, MHA; Johanna Bell; Umi Chong, MBE. Indicators of Cultural Competence in Health Care Delivery Organizations: An Organizational Cultural Competence Assessment Profile. The Health Resources and Services Administration. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; April 2002, p1-23.
- Todisco, Maria, & Paul Salomone. Facilitating Effective Cross-Cultural Relationships: The White Counselor and The Black Client; Journal of Multicultural Counseling & Development; Oct. 1991; Vol. 19, Issue 4.
Coordinating Author/Instructor: Tracy Appleton, LCSW, MEd